Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stay at home moms who send their kids to "school"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a stay at home mom I find it so frustrating and pathetic to see other stay at home moms sending their kids to "school" at like ages 1-3. I see people posting about droping the kids off to school all day. Seriously people, that is not school that is daycare. If you are staying home your kids should be home with you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Replies (461-468):
morisa32
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

i think its good that she is putting her child in daycare, gets them used to a routine in a school type setting, gets them socialized with other children and adults. so when preschool time does come around the child isnt so nervous..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM
We started prek for all my kids at age 3. It helped them socially.
Redwall
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I sent my homeschooled son to school in 9th grade.  He wanted to play basketball and his dad was the coach...we carefully selected his classes...He didn't love it, and though the classes were mostly busy work, but he got good grades....Duh.  You can't be "homeschooling" if you're sending your little ones to school, can you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Yogamom08:

I am a stay at home mom, but DS goes to a special needs preschool through our public school system two days a week. He gets speech and occupational therapy, and his teacher specializes in behavior modification.

I would have no problem with him staying home every day, but he NEEDS this to help prepare him for mainstream school. He is 4 by the way.

At 3 or 4 it is preschool.  Younger than that-it's daycare. Which is fine but don't call it school-you aren't fooling anyone but the kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Quoting xMamaMiax:

My 4 and a half year old has never been to 'school' and yet he can read, write, spell, and is a wiz at math.  He will be completely ready for Kindergarten next fall.

Maybe, and maybe not.  I still remember the little 5 year old my youngest went to school with, The kid could read and write and do math. He was pulled out of kindergarten (he had started at 4 and turned 5 JUST before the cut off) He couldn't work in groups, had trouble working with the teacher-and cried for 2o minutes or MORE every day for 30 days. He was smart enough-he just wasn't MATURE enough. Being away from his Dad was too much for him (he had a SAHD)  He went back the next year and did very well-he wound up skipped back to his opriginal class.

happymotherof6
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I agree

Autumn355
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely! My ds is autistic and started center based ABA at 2.3 yo, for six hours a day! And you know what... Hes now talking, advanced in selfhelp, and has great social skills! But if you were to ask me, I wouldnt have said anything about autism and you would have assumed this :(

Quoting Yogamom08:

I am a stay at home mom, but DS goes to a special needs preschool through our public school system two days a week. He gets speech and occupational therapy, and his teacher specializes in behavior modification.

I would have no problem with him staying home every day, but he NEEDS this to help prepare him for mainstream school. He is 4 by the way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yogamom08
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

thats different. even if she didn't exclude special needs, I am sure she thought it. Its just not the same and clearly not daycare. I almost put DD (3) in school for speech. But she has hearing trouble and we are just going to get a personal therapist. Good luck to your boy.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)