Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out my parents are 3rd or 4th cousins :/

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They just found out too. But they don't think its a big deal. They say its far enough back that they don't consider themselves related. But it kind of freaked me out. I told them I don't wanna hear or speak of it again.

I want to forget about it.. I am too ashamed to tell anyone, even my husband. But I have to live with it and accept it. What am I gonna do, kill myself?

Am I overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

LMAO You are soooooo overreacting, it is not even funny. Chill pill, Mama. It is no big deal. Most of us whose families have been in one area for a long time have some relatives married to relatives. It happens! Hell, in 34 states, it is legal to marry your first cousin! lol 

Ha! Just like my area.... I dont claim to be part of my mom's extended family tree but just found out Im related to five (maybe more) people I work with through my mom's side! It just happens to be one of "THE" families in my area. And most of them have crossed over here and there through the generations

JuliFox
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Nothing to be ashamed about. That far back there's very little chance of any genetic issues. First cousins - children of siblings - there might be cause for concern, but third or fourth? You are ***WAY*** overreacting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoraDun
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

We are all related down the tree. So its not a big deal. And 1st and 2nd cousin's are the only ones that matter. Dont stress it!

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I could see being embarrassed if they are first cousins but if it was so far back then why should it matter?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM
It wasn't that long ago that it was perfectly normal to marry distant cousins.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM
They are both from a country in Europe but met here. Their parents or grandparents didn't know each other at all...

Quoting bmcandmmh:

How did they meet and how did no one know to tell them? Like their parents.
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM
That is ok. It is far back enough genetically to not cause problems. It's not a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BloodyAngel7476
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

my husband side of the family had this happen they are 4th cousins. they meet when she moved out of her parents house. they were dating did not know they were related. they finally brought the other around there family only to find out they were related. but they did not care they loved each other got married and have 2 kids together. they tell everyone it not close enough to matter really. but they don't hide it from anyone and they don't want anyone else hiding it they are a very loving and happy family. your overreacting and it is not your life be happy for them. and if they don't care who know about it then you should not either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

overreacting, yes. but personally I would laugh my ass off.

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting Aislinn:

LMAO You are soooooo overreacting, it is not even funny. Chill pill, Mama. It is no big deal. Most of us whose families have been in one area for a long time have some relatives married to relatives. It happens! Hell, in 34 states, it is legal to marry your first cousin! lol 

Ha! Just like my area.... I dont claim to be part of my mom's extended family tree but just found out Im related to five (maybe more) people I work with through my mom's side! It just happens to be one of "THE" families in my area. And most of them have crossed over here and there through the generations

My family has been in Maine since Maine was Massachusetts. lol So hasn't my husbands. We did find out he is my Aunt's third cousin, but my aunt is married in and not a blood relative. This happens. I mean, it is not like they are the twins that got separated at birth, found each other and fell in love and found out they were actually separated at birth! lol They are fourth cousins. The blood line is so minoot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)