Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out my parents are 3rd or 4th cousins :/

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They just found out too. But they don't think its a big deal. They say its far enough back that they don't consider themselves related. But it kind of freaked me out. I told them I don't wanna hear or speak of it again.

I want to forget about it.. I am too ashamed to tell anyone, even my husband. But I have to live with it and accept it. What am I gonna do, kill myself?

Am I overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (281-290):
Quatrekins
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Waaay overreacting. It's not a big deal.

JLS2388
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM

It's really not that big of a deal, most people don't even know their 4th cousins. In small towns like the one I grew up in, most of us are probably 4th cousins.

beeky
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Yes you are over-reacting!

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

i know it legal in CO, that's where me and dh got married

Quoting Aislinn:

LMAO You are soooooo overreacting, it is not even funny. Chill pill, Mama. It is no big deal. Most of us whose families have been in one area for a long time have some relatives married to relatives. It happens! Hell, in 34 states, it is legal to marry your first cousin! lol 

It is legal in Maine, too... As long as you promise not to have babies... *scratching head* lol

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM
So it's just my first cousin's child would be my second cousin. That is so much simpler. Why must people complicate such things? Lol

Quoting Eco_Momma:

lol  like " removed from you". they are getting farther away from the main blood line of your grandparents.

It took me years to get it right. =)

Quoting MyStarLight:

But I don't get it still

"Removed"??? How

Yes its a stupid question

I know

Quoting Eco_Momma:

your cousin's child is ONCE removed , their child would be twice removed. =)

Quoting MyStarLight:

I don't get when.ppl say twice removed or anything when.they speak of relatives

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM
When me and Dh got married(in Ga) we were asked if we were cousins. I wondered if we said yes what would be the next follow up. Lol. I guess they actually keep track of you? Lol

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting Anonymous:

i know it legal in CO, that's where me and dh got married

Quoting Aislinn:

LMAO You are soooooo overreacting, it is not even funny. Chill pill, Mama. It is no big deal. Most of us whose families have been in one area for a long time have some relatives married to relatives. It happens! Hell, in 34 states, it is legal to marry your first cousin! lol 

It is legal in Maine, too... As long as you promise not to have babies... *scratching head* lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylawv2
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM

my grandparents  are. not a big deal imo!

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM
That is cool!

Quoting smalltownmom03:

It has been proven through dna that we all came from one man and one woman somewhere in Africa. I saw a documentary about it. It was called something like the human family tree. But anyway they took dna samples from a bunch of people of all races and traced it back. It was really interesting.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Wow. I personally think 3rd or 4th cousins are pretty close. I guess every family is diff though. But some of my third cousins and I are very close. My parents are distantly related. Like way way way back. But they didn't find out until after marriage and my brother was born. No big deal. If you believe in Adam and Eve, we are all related. And if you don't.. well we are prob. Still all related anyway.. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

No, your first cousin's child is your first cousin 1x removed.  The "removed" number is the number of generations you are apart from your common ancestor.  You are 2 generations down from you grandparent. your cousin's child is 3 generations, that is 1 generation difference, thus once removed.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vatgs/cousins_chart.htm

Quoting So_Devious20:

So it's just my first cousin's child would be my second cousin. That is so much simpler. Why must people complicate such things? Lol

Quoting Eco_Momma:

lol  like " removed from you". they are getting farther away from the main blood line of your grandparents.

It took me years to get it right. =)

Quoting MyStarLight:

But I don't get it still

"Removed"??? How

Yes its a stupid question

I know

Quoting Eco_Momma:

your cousin's child is ONCE removed , their child would be twice removed. =)

Quoting MyStarLight:

I don't get when.ppl say twice removed or anything when.they speak of relatives

Karopie_99
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I would be embarrassed, but I think you're over reacting. Your parents have been together how long? Happy? Then why worry or change it. Youve never thought any differently about them until now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)