Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out my parents are 3rd or 4th cousins :/

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They just found out too. But they don't think its a big deal. They say its far enough back that they don't consider themselves related. But it kind of freaked me out. I told them I don't wanna hear or speak of it again.

I want to forget about it.. I am too ashamed to tell anyone, even my husband. But I have to live with it and accept it. What am I gonna do, kill myself?

Am I overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (301-305):
mas2124
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not so strange....It's only in the last century that our society started frowning on this, and that was because of a misguided idea in the early 1900's that kissing cousins cause mental retardation. This has since been proven false.

salamandersmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

No, don't worry about this...  This happened in our family too.  Some woman about 4 generations back on one side and three generations back on the other side was married a bunch of times, and had kids with each of her husbands.  So, this means all the kids had different last names.  They grew up and moved apart.  got married and had kids, and then eventually this one girl met a guy, fell in love, and got married.  It wasn't until after the couple had passed away (he died young, in 1970; and she died of cancer in 1982 when she was still pretty young) that the kids were doing a genealogical study, and discovered this. 

It's not really a big deal.  Of course, we live in a very rural area.  And, people don't move around much... so we joke that if your kid brings home someone you don't approve of, all you have to say is "Oh, honey.  You can't be with him/her.  You're related!"  It may or may not be true...  Our family tree looks a lot more like a family spider-web, with this one marrying that person, and that person's sister marrying someone else... who is a first cousin to the first person, and in some places it is just ONE TINY STEP short of incest.  But that's what makes it interesting.  And we have not had any two headed babies or babies with missing limbs.  (Though there is one branch of the family with ties to English nobility, and from time to time they turn up Anne Boleyn's deformity... that sixth finger that used to be considered a sign of witchcraft.) 

So don't kill yourself.  It's not really a big deal as long as its an isolated thing. 

ARmomOf3
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM
that happens alot. i moved from north Texas to south by the border when i was 8. well i got a best friend there and we found out a year later we were 3rd cousins
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apriltea2011
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
My dh ex girlfriends parents were first cousins. And they knew it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vixen42
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

oh for crying out loud,thats not very close and if they just found out,what do you expect them to do about it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)