Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out my parents are 3rd or 4th cousins :/

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They just found out too. But they don't think its a big deal. They say its far enough back that they don't consider themselves related. But it kind of freaked me out. I told them I don't wanna hear or speak of it again.

I want to forget about it.. I am too ashamed to tell anyone, even my husband. But I have to live with it and accept it. What am I gonna do, kill myself?

Am I overreacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Sweet Jesus woman. You need to get a firm grasp on reality and quickly.

Seriously! And what the crap is with all the women telling her to keep it a secret! Anyone with a modicum of biology education should know that they're not any more genetically related than most other people, and that there's no way that it's ever going to present problems. Well, unless the OP CREATES a problem.

Not to mention the fact that  you, OP, are making them feel ashamed for something not only was unbeknownst to them when they got married, it also wouldn't and SHOULDN'T have kept them from getting married even if they HAD known! Grow up and educate yourself about genetics. And leave your poor parents alone about it.

MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

And KILL YOURSELF??????????

My gosh, woman, get a grip!

Aphrodisiac
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Yes you are over reacting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Honestly, fourth cousins would mean that your father had a cousin ( first cousin) and that cousin had a son ( second cousin) and that cousin had a son ( third cousin) and that cousin had a son ( fourth cousin). That is family connection that is quite a bit removed so if the idea of incest or inbreeding is what is making you a little crazy, I would relax.
cherrywaves21
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed!! Op is a wee bit of a wack a do.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Seriously! And what the crap is with all the women telling her to keep it a secret! Anyone with a modicum of biology education should know that they're not any more genetically related than most other people, and that there's no way that it's ever going to present problems. Well, unless the OP CREATES a problem.

Not to mention the fact that  you, OP, are making them feel ashamed for something not only was unbeknownst to them when they got married, it also wouldn't and SHOULDN'T have kept them from getting married even if they HAD known! Grow up and educate yourself about genetics. And leave your poor parents alone about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting Aislinn:

LMAO You are soooooo overreacting, it is not even funny. Chill pill, Mama. It is no big deal. Most of us whose families have been in one area for a long time have some relatives married to relatives. It happens! Hell, in 34 states, it is legal to marry your first cousin! lol 

Ha! Just like my area.... I dont claim to be part of my mom's extended family tree but just found out Im related to five (maybe more) people I work with through my mom's side! It just happens to be one of "THE" families in my area. And most of them have crossed over here and there through the generations

My family has been in Maine since Maine was Massachusetts. lol So hasn't my husbands. We did find out he is my Aunt's third cousin, but my aunt is married in and not a blood relative. This happens. I mean, it is not like they are the twins that got separated at birth, found each other and fell in love and found out they were actually separated at birth! lol They are fourth cousins. The blood line is so minoot.

Woohoo MAINE! We're Downeast. I refuse to see if DH's family and my mom's family are intertwined at all. Although I doubt it, It doesnt seem to be so far, with the small amount of research Ive done so far. Now, DH's STEP FAMILY, yeah, that's mixed in with mine for sure. 

twinmom86
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM
At least it's not as bad as the woman from Ohio who found out she'd been married to her dad for 40 + years! She didn't even find out until several years after he had died apparently he knew the whole time! Now THAT is disturbing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Yes you're overreacting. They didn't know and they're right it's so far back it's not that big of a deal. Not something I would do if I knew before hand, but they didn't so oh well. I don't know my 3rd and 4thcousins either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Eh, my sister in law's ex husband was her 3rd cousin. It was an arranged marriage - she's Muslim. They had two kids together, who are awesome, smart, and very good looking kids. They're not some sort of weird inbred freaks.

I don't blame you for being shocked having just found that out about your parents, but I don't think it's so terrible, and it certainly doesn't change who you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Agreed and I love your choice of words, lol.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Agreed!! Op is a wee bit of a wack a do.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)