Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"unschooling"...what's your take?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

I know, I know...to each his/her own. But is unschooling really a responsible way to parent? Read THIS and let me know what you think.

Personally, I find it lazy and irresponsible...not to mention just plain not smart. Are kids really learning anything educationally? Or are they just being taught how to "deal with real life situations"? I mean, in the real world grown ups have these things called jobs...that in order to be hired they need to have some amount of scholastic training...right? How is unschooling preparing them for this?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Unschooling is far from lazy. I thought that at first too but I did some research into it and most families are amazing. There are of course those who truly are lazy but the vast majority are crazy busy and work very hard with their children. I think it is a great option for some people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is the ULTIMATE in laziness on the part of parents. 

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I know a family that unschooled and their thirteen year old was just learning to read.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

so if the interests don't lead them down that path that gets them prepared for the SATs (or the equivalent), they can't get into a good school and can't get a good job, what has "unschooling" prepared them for?  nothing.  another person on the Obama dole.  Nice.

tennisgal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with a PP, far from lazy.

I think it emphasizes independent work and self-motivation, which is a great quality for going to college (well some colleges). Not all jobs want you to just follow X,Y, and Z. They want workers who are independent problem-solvers, not needing guidance step-by-step. Also I would suggest a lot of families who follow this form of homeschooling are probably in business for themselves and would encourage entrepreneurship in their own children. 

3KidsOneMom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I agree with OP...I don't understand how their children will be able to go to college or get a good job without some type of education.

tennisgal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM

b/c why??

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I think it is the ULTIMATE in laziness on the part of parents. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It is not for us but I see why some parents choose that method of education.

atyou
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I think it's awesome.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I don't know enough to make a judgment on the subject. It sounds unusual, but I'm just not used to the idea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured