Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"unschooling"...what's your take?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know, I know...to each his/her own. But is unschooling really a responsible way to parent? Read THIS and let me know what you think.

Personally, I find it lazy and irresponsible...not to mention just plain not smart. Are kids really learning anything educationally? Or are they just being taught how to "deal with real life situations"? I mean, in the real world grown ups have these things called jobs...that in order to be hired they need to have some amount of scholastic training...right? How is unschooling preparing them for this?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
tennisgal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

well you're assuming that someone who has been unschooled would never be interested in taking the SAT's, when in fact you can take tutoring session, get workbooks, attend study groups, etc. You're also assuming that the only way to get a good job is to go to college. And I'm not sure what Obama has to do with unschooling...so i may need that clarified. 

Quoting Anonymous:

so if the interests don't lead them down that path that gets them prepared for the SATs (or the equivalent), they can't get into a good school and can't get a good job, what has "unschooling" prepared them for?  nothing.  another person on the Obama dole.  Nice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I think there has to be a balance between schooling and unschooling. I watched a program where two kids were "unschooled" and their day to day lives were chaotic. I think kids need some structure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tennisgal:

well you're assuming that someone who has been unschooled would never be interested in taking the SAT's, when in fact you can take tutoring session, get workbooks, attend study groups, etc. You're also assuming that the only way to get a good job is to go to college. And I'm not sure what Obama has to do with unschooling...so i may need that clarified. 

Quoting Anonymous:

so if the interests don't lead them down that path that gets them prepared for the SATs (or the equivalent), they can't get into a good school and can't get a good job, what has "unschooling" prepared them for?  nothing.  another person on the Obama dole.  Nice.

The whole concept behind unschooling is that they would never take tutoring sessions, use workbooks or attend study groups because it's all too structured.  My point is that they aren't going to be productive members of society if their "interests" don't lead them to anything that employable.  So another member of society that the government needs to support.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM
It's not for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I get it and don't think it's lazy.

But I'm also one that doesn't believe the government should tell me what I need to learn. I felt this way from a young age.

It gives more freedom to the child to focus more on what they want to learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I see. I, however, disagree with the premise. It isn't that they would never do so, but an encouragement that it isn't the best way to learn. If a son is particularly interested in advanced math joining a co-op or enrolling in college courses would be an option (to any unschoolers that I've met anyway). I also think it's quite a leap to assume that unschoolers are a drain on society and incapable of contributing to society.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting Anonymous:

The whole concept behind unschooling is that they would never take tutoring sessions, use workbooks or attend study groups because it's all too structured.  My point is that they aren't going to be productive members of society if their "interests" don't lead them to anything that employable.  So another member of society that the government needs to support.

Jynnifer292
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband is a high school teacher and had a girl enroll in school junior year simply because she wanted to see what school was like. She had been "unschooled" her entire life. He said that she was leaps and bounds ahead of the other kids and was one of the most polite kids he has ever met.

There are people that do a wonderful job homeschooling or unschooling and their children do learn what they need to succeed. Then there are people that are lazy and do nothing. However, there are parents that are lazy and do nothing for their public educated children. That is how some kids get to high school not knowing how to read.

I think if you do it well, it is great. Obviously, they need basic English and math skills and one would hope that they would incorporate that into whatever they are learning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tennisgal:

I see. I, however, disagree with the premise. It isn't that they would never do so, but an encouragement that it isn't the best way to learn. If a son is particularly interested in advanced math joining a co-op or enrolling in college courses would be an option (to any unschoolers that I've met anyway). I also think it's quite a leap to assume that unschoolers are a drain on society and incapable of contributing to society.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting Anonymous:

So we'll just agree to disagree.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

From the link you posted, I am assuming that there are no tests, deadlines for work, etc. If that is true, then IMO it is doing a disservice to the child. What are they going to do when they get a job or go to college and they DO have deadlines? Many of them? College/work is stressful enough for some people who have learned over the years how to manage time, how would a person who has never had to deal with a structured learning system going to handle that? The bottom line for me is that in a person's adult life, they are surround by structure, deadlines, appointments, etc. Not learning how to manage time to meet those deadlines until they are basically thrown into it (be it their first semester of traditional college or their first job) could cause some major problems for them. Do I think the school system is perfect as is? No. But for my kids unschooling is not an option.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Many people who go to public school also need government support. People who go to private school and were homeschooled do as well. That shows nothing.
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)