Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"unschooling"...what's your take?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know, I know...to each his/her own. But is unschooling really a responsible way to parent? Read THIS and let me know what you think.

Personally, I find it lazy and irresponsible...not to mention just plain not smart. Are kids really learning anything educationally? Or are they just being taught how to "deal with real life situations"? I mean, in the real world grown ups have these things called jobs...that in order to be hired they need to have some amount of scholastic training...right? How is unschooling preparing them for this?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think it is pretty damn stupid and irresponsible.

Simple-Beauty
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know enough to make a judgment on the subject. It sounds unusual, but I'm just not used to the idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I know a teenage boy that's being unschooled.  He just turned 16 and his mom has let him do what he wants.  He is a spoiled selfish brat that smokes and drinks.  The main reason why he was unschooled was because his mother didn't want to bother waking him up in the morning.  The kid can draw amazingly, and he can read and do basic math, but that's it.

jen2150
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

We are quasi-unschoolers.  Basically I follow my kids interests.  I use classes, workbooks, and curriculum to help them.  I only use these things if they enjoy and want to do them.  Our school time is planned with the help of my children.  I throw out ideas and they do the same.  They have dealines and responsibilities.  There are many levels of unschooling.  Some levels work better for different families.  I waited until my sons ask to learn to read.  I didn't stop there though.  I created an environment where they would want to learn.  When my son turned 5 he asked me to teach him to read.  He was hooked.  When he finished his second week of 1st grade he was reading at a 3rd grade level.  My sons are in 3rd and 5th grade now.  They love learning about everything.  This year my oldest is taking computer science and he loves it.  He asks to do his homework.  Unschooling requires a lot of time and is far from lazy.  Feel free to ask me anything.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I don't think that people have really thought about exactly what it takes to be a successful unschooler; it is far from a lazy option. The idea is that a child will learn through experience. Well, how can a child then learn if they do not have the experience? The parent has to provide that experience. Think of the unschooling parent as a facilitator, they have to help their child experience the things they need to learn. There is much more to it than just letting a child run free.
dee1603
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Why can't we just teach children what they are supposed to know by sending them to the appropriate school, online, whatever? Life lessons will be learned through life, but other necessary skills will be lacking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
That is simply lazy parenting. Sure, she can label it 'unschooling' but unschooling does not mean no learning. I think people get confused by the 'un' and assume it must mean the children do not learn anything. True unschooling is a lot of work, more so than using a curriculum.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know a teenage boy that's being unschooled.  He just turned 16 and his mom has let him do what he wants.  He is a spoiled selfish brat that smokes and drinks.  The main reason why he was unschooled was because his mother didn't want to bother waking him up in the morning.  The kid can draw amazingly, and he can read and do basic math, but that's it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM
It's an interesting concept. I think if you take interest in what your child is doing: encourage it, and can teach him the basics (reading comprehension, basic math, etc.), it can be very beneficial.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammygrl77
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I'm sure, as with everything else, there are parents that are doing more harm than good. But a majority who are doing it right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boo1985
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I think it's lazy. I think you are not doing your kids any favors with this. It isn't how life is. On real life there are deadlines and expectations. Your job as a parent is to prepare them for life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)