Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DD's teacher is coddling her

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 22 Replies

My DD's preschool teacher rubs me the wrong way because she reminds me of my MIL. lol Her and my daughter seem to have a strange relationship. The teacher says she "keeps her close" whatever that means. Anyway we had a field trip to the fire station on Tuesday and I got to see first hand what this means. About 10 minutes in to the trip my dd came over to me crying because the firemen were scaring the crap out of her. She's never heard of the jaws of life or thought about her house being on fire before so it was a little overwhelming for her. 

I had planned to give her a hug, talk to her for a minute and then send her back to the class. Well her teacher butts in and says "what's wrong?" I tell her that DD just got a little scared, so she says "okay come by me sweetie and hold my hand"

That was that. My daughter missed out on the rest of the field trip because she stood in the back with her teacher holding her hand. The teacher was stroking her cheak and hair. It was so odd to me. 

I've posted about here before, I think it's weird that she tells my daughter that she loves her all the time. I just feel like that kind of talk and affection is more appropriate for family members. Her teacher, IMO should be a more logical figure, and less emotional. Does that make sense?  I know a good deal of this is my problem because the teacher erks, me. I know it's not the end of the world for her to be with this teacher for the class......I just think the whole thing is weird. I'm also thinking that because she reminds me of my MIL who lives out of state, maybe she reminds DD of her too and that's why my DD is acting the way she does around her.

cupcake siggykitschy </p><p style=90 siggy

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I dont see anyting wrong with tha. Yous hould be thankful the teacher shows your child love and affection and isnt horrible mean and doesnt scare her. I worked at a day care, i loved all my babies.

dee1603
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
I agree with you. That is a little strange. It's okay for the teacher to be loving towards a child without stroking her cheek and hand and whatnot. I would say something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont see anyting wrong with tha. Yous hould be thankful the teacher shows your child love and affection and isnt horrible mean and doesnt scare her. I worked at a day care, i loved all my babies.

I'm glad she isn't mean. And like I said she's one teacher for a few months. Less if I can get DD in to the class we are on a waiting list for. I just don't know why she singles out my kid. Why she is so protective of my kid. The other kids might start to resent DD for the extra attention she gets.

Kitschy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting dee1603:

I agree with you. That is a little strange. It's okay for the teacher to be loving towards a child without stroking her cheek and hand and whatnot. I would say something.

I tried to talk to the teacher. lol ONe of the ways she reminds o my MIL is that she doesn't give a shit what anyone says, she's going to do what she's going to do. We have a new principal who is changing the curriculum. DD's teacher already told me she isn't changing anything in her class. lol

dee1603
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Did you mention to the new principal?

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting dee1603:

I tried to talk to the teacher. lol ONe of the ways she reminds o my MIL is that she doesn't give a shit what anyone says, she's going to do what she's going to do. We have a new principal who is changing the curriculum. DD's teacher already told me she isn't changing anything in her class. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Hmmm... that to me seems like a good thing as long as it's not creepy. My son's teacher wrote notes signed "Love, Mrs. _________" since before the school year started. I think it's good that her teacher does love her and teachers do love their students, esp. the younger ones.

Kitschy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

LOL, no I haven't met her yet. I think she starts officially next week.

Quoting dee1603:

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting dee1603:

Kitschy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think I would be fine with it if she treated all the kids that way. I think it's my kid being singled out that bothers me.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Hmmm... that to me seems like a good thing as long as it's not creepy. My son's teacher wrote notes signed "Love, Mrs. _________" since before the school year started. I think it's good that her teacher does love her and teachers do love their students, esp. the younger ones.

dee1603
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I def would when you meet her. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it is just a little bit strange

Quoting Kitschy:

LOL, no I haven't met her yet. I think she starts officially next week.

Quoting dee1603:

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting dee1603:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MajorsMom8215
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's good for teachers to care for their students, and to show they care, but there MUST be lines drawn as to what is appropriate. Touching and saying I love you is NOT. Telling a child that they are special to you and you are proud of them I think is fine. I really think you should mention this to either the teacher or an administrator. At least, I would. I think it's a bummer she missed out on the rest of the trip. Good luck with this one...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN