Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is NOT a career

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's wonderful for women to be able to stay home with their kids. It's important. I was raised by my grandmother, who was retired and home all the time. I was at home for 6 months with my first and I currently work part time. However, I do see something wrong if a SAHM does not have any prior job experience or a college education. It is so important for women to establish themselves in a career first, become financially independent, prior to becoming a wife and SAHM. Why be dependent on a man? I see so many young girls in our area who get married at 18 and have babies at 19, stay home, and have no way to support themselves when the man leaves. It's so sad. It's also important for a prior career woman to keep up with her skills while being a SAHM. You may eventually need to head back to work. Just had to vent this!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
romalove
by SakePrincess on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
5 moms liked this

Being a judgmental internet idiot isn't a career either, but it doesn't prevent so many from pursuing it.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM
8 moms liked this
I am perfectly content being "dependant" on my hubby. He is a good man who loves me and our little family and loves providing for us. I am living my dream of being a full time mom and home educator. Who are you to tell me thar my dream isn't worthy? Feminism is about the freedom to choose our own life path, not just an order to join the workforce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
How would going to school before having kids and en ending your career to raise them helpful? And you would still be dependent on your husband during that time bc you weren't working..
I decided to start my family, there was no point for me personally to start working when we both agreed I would be home for the next 10 maybe more years..
With that said I am starting midwifery training in the new year, I never thought I would work even once the kids were in school but I am ready to give to others as a midwife..., I will still be able to be home after school (usually) and Volenteer at school...
It will be a nice balance:))
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Haha...in a perfect world!

A lot of what I do can carry over into a job. And what I have taught myself while at home over 13 years would get this poor sahm by and I certainly am not dependant on my dh:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm of the live your life and ill live mine variety. I don't see the point in making plans for other people's lives since I only live and control mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
philipmommy4834
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Where do you live?  Almost everyone I know did go to college and work before staying home with their kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I had 1 job from 16 to almost 18 and that's it. I married at 18 right after I graduated high school and no college. Had my son at 19, I'm 25 now and I will continue to be a sahm until I feel like I need to work. I'm perfectly content with the way my life is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Once again someone who feels the need to have her head up sahm's asses. Give it a rest all ready.
I have been a sahm for 13 years, don't feel the need to justify shit to you.
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
If you take the time to get a full education and establish a career you'll be too old to start a family. Four years undergrad, three for a masters, ten to establish a career; you're 35 and your eggs are halfway fried.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm a SAHM because that is what'a best. My kids being happy and well cared for is a hell of a lot more important that my dreams. I will not let someone raise my kids when I can be with them. I'll go to school when they do. Until then, they are my top priority.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)