Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is NOT a career

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's wonderful for women to be able to stay home with their kids. It's important. I was raised by my grandmother, who was retired and home all the time. I was at home for 6 months with my first and I currently work part time. However, I do see something wrong if a SAHM does not have any prior job experience or a college education. It is so important for women to establish themselves in a career first, become financially independent, prior to becoming a wife and SAHM. Why be dependent on a man? I see so many young girls in our area who get married at 18 and have babies at 19, stay home, and have no way to support themselves when the man leaves. It's so sad. It's also important for a prior career woman to keep up with her skills while being a SAHM. You may eventually need to head back to work. Just had to vent this!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
AleaKat
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Kind if agree

I got married at 18 and preg at 19
Didn't go to college
Went from being taken care of by mom and dad to being taken care if by hubby
Iv never really had to fend for myself . I wouldn't know where to start.
If something happened to my husband I'd be totally screwed.
After he finishes his degree though going back to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMetalMama
I am a sahm and will be starting school in the spring. i have work experience. i just don't want strangers watching my kids (day care wise) once my youngest starts school i will hopefully be working :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978

It is not your place to judge SAHMs.

1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Copious notes. Random Internet person must be accurate and taken as gospel.

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

Bash SAHM day today?....Must.Take.Notes

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I had work experience and was certified in Radio and TV Broadcasting when I got married the first time. Still worked full time as a new, young mother (19) and continued to through my divorce and until I married my second husband. He joined the military and I've had two jobs, one in 2002 for 4 months until we moved, and one from Oct. 2007 to April, 2008 when we relocated again. During those 8 yrs I also got certified as a Medical Office Clerk. In 2009, I went back to school and received my AAS in Network Engineering in 2010. I have experience, but not enough. But, we really couldn't afford for me to work. I do think they should have some experience....even if its just in fast food. It's a start..

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I got pregnant and it was not planned. I was 18 and being a SAHM is what is right for my family. I am going to school but I do not have job experience outside of work from high school at places like Best Buy and retail stores and a waitressing job. I am honestly not too concerned about it. Sure things can and do happen, however, the economy is so slow that even if I had 5 years experience doing my dream job with a masters degree the chances of me getting a job are slim to none anyhow.

kymom23
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I kind of agree with you. I am a SAHM plus I'm disabled. I am keeping up on my continuing education up to date and keeping my nurses license. Why? Because I'm hoping that with a little medical care, I can become healthy again and get back to work. I love being home with my kids, but I really, REALLY miss nursing. It's always been more than a career to me. More of a passion.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

Bash SAHM day today?....Must.Take.Notes

I don't see it as a bash.  Its a good point.  Should a sahm, who has no work experience or college education, suddenly find herself the sole or primary financial provider for her family, it can be devastating.  I agree that it is important for mom to establish themselves in a skill, trade, or acquire an education.  I am working to do the same, I have work experience, but should something happen where my dh was no longer in the picture, or unable to work, I want to have the skills needed to provide for my children.  

gabby416
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I can say from a stand of being a SAHM, then having my ex husband leave me high and dry, no car, no money, no nothing, and going through what I am going through, letting my girls be with their daddies while I become financially independent (I do not allow to help my DF helped, he helped me get my job, and now lives with me, but I pay my own rent and bills) at any rate, my point is, I got screwed and it is talking me a long time to get back on my feet. So I have to agree with this post, in that a mother and even single women, need to be able to support themselves in case anything happens.  I would HATE to see any other person go through the things I am.  It is not easy at this age.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

If you take the time to get a full education and establish a career you'll be too old to start a family. Four years undergrad, three for a masters, ten to establish a career; you're 35 and your eggs are halfway fried.

What?!?!?  Where the hell are you getting your information from?  I did 4.5 years to get my bachelors degree, then got a job in my field right out of college.  Worked for about 5 years before my first son was born.  Yes, my career was definitely established by then and I was 28 years old with perfectly viable eggs.  Had my second son at age 31 and still enjoy my career now with a 5yo and 7yo.

Too old to start a family?  Fuck that!  You don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)