Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is NOT a career

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's wonderful for women to be able to stay home with their kids. It's important. I was raised by my grandmother, who was retired and home all the time. I was at home for 6 months with my first and I currently work part time. However, I do see something wrong if a SAHM does not have any prior job experience or a college education. It is so important for women to establish themselves in a career first, become financially independent, prior to becoming a wife and SAHM. Why be dependent on a man? I see so many young girls in our area who get married at 18 and have babies at 19, stay home, and have no way to support themselves when the man leaves. It's so sad. It's also important for a prior career woman to keep up with her skills while being a SAHM. You may eventually need to head back to work. Just had to vent this!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Most of you are missing the  mark on this one. I'm saying it doesn't do society any good when a woman gets married directly out of high school, stays at home and doesn't establish a way to become financially independent. I am in the legal field and see it all the time. Woman who stayed at home for 10 years gets divorced and has no way to support herself. Man pays a few hundred a month in spousal maintenance. Woman gets on welfare. A lot of SAHM's seem to be very defensive. Must brush up on reading skills and attention to detail, where it said "now don't get me wrong, being a SAHM is a wonderful thing..."

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a stay at home mom and I agree with you.

I think it's sad, all of these babies having babies expecting that they will get a free ride through life and their whole life will always be revolving around their kids. Pretty big wake up call when they realize that children DO actually grow up and you need to find something useful to do with yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I will never have to work again in my life so I am not worried. 

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 10 years of work experience prior to having my kids.  I am taking online classes now while I wait for my dd to become old enough to go to school.

VCooper89
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

If women who work their asses off to raise children seems to upset you, this will royally piss you off, I'm a SAHW.

Guess what, it's their life and they don't need to justify themselves, their choices, or their lives to you or anyone else.

my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM

This.

Quoting meparty:

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

She's not bashing, she's saying it's *not* a career and that you need to have something else going for you besides being able to produce babies.

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

Bash SAHM day today?....Must.Take.Notes

Luna091306
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I agree.

meparty
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

No I dont need anything else. I plan on staying home, FOREVER!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

She's not bashing, she's saying it's *not* a career and that you need to have something else going for you besides being able to produce babies.

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

Bash SAHM day today?....Must.Take.Notes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Hm, ok.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN