Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is NOT a career

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's wonderful for women to be able to stay home with their kids. It's important. I was raised by my grandmother, who was retired and home all the time. I was at home for 6 months with my first and I currently work part time. However, I do see something wrong if a SAHM does not have any prior job experience or a college education. It is so important for women to establish themselves in a career first, become financially independent, prior to becoming a wife and SAHM. Why be dependent on a man? I see so many young girls in our area who get married at 18 and have babies at 19, stay home, and have no way to support themselves when the man leaves. It's so sad. It's also important for a prior career woman to keep up with her skills while being a SAHM. You may eventually need to head back to work. Just had to vent this!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
meparty
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be taking care of my house, going on vacation, visiting my grand kids, etc.  There is more to life, then just WORK!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I'm a stay at home mom and I agree with you.

I think it's sad, all of these babies having babies expecting that they will get a free ride through life and their whole life will always be revolving around their kids. Pretty big wake up call when they realize that children DO actually grow up and you need to find something useful to do with yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Cool story.

LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I have prior work experience (in a good position), but not a college diploma. I am working on it though. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

This is why I went to college before having kids (2 years.) I'm 21 now and about to have my second. I'll be going back to school at age 25. :) 

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

If you take the time to get a full education and establish a career you'll be too old to start a family. Four years undergrad, three for a masters, ten to establish a career; you're 35 and your eggs are halfway fried.

Mommy_Jenx3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I'm talking in general....lots of SAHM posts today that are lame....saying their kids shouldn't ride a bus and a few other pathetic ones. Doesn't affect the OP, but eh....people just need to bitch about something :)
Quoting daughteroftruth:

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I agree

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Of course :)

Quoting meparty:

I will be taking care of my house, going on vacation, visiting my grand kids, etc.  There is more to life, then just WORK!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I'm a stay at home mom and I agree with you.

I think it's sad, all of these babies having babies expecting that they will get a free ride through life and their whole life will always be revolving around their kids. Pretty big wake up call when they realize that children DO actually grow up and you need to find something useful to do with yourself.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's smart for any SAHM to have a back-up plan, whatever that plan might look like.  Any of us could end up a widow tomorrow and be solely responsible for the financial needs of our kids.  There needs to be some sort of plan in place.  However, there is no one right answer for what that plan looks like.  Each persons plan is going to be individual to their unique situation.

I do agree with your title.  Being a SAHM is not a career.  It is a lifestyle choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't plan for my husband to leave me.  What a sad way to live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM
How old are you and how old are your children?

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of you are missing the  mark on this one. I'm saying it doesn't do society any good when a woman gets married directly out of high school, stays at home and doesn't establish a way to become financially independent. I am in the legal field and see it all the time. Woman who stayed at home for 10 years gets divorced and has no way to support herself. Man pays a few hundred a month in spousal maintenance. Woman gets on welfare. A lot of SAHM's seem to be very defensive. Must brush up on reading skills and attention to detail, where it said "now don't get me wrong, being a SAHM is a wonderful thing..."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)