Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM is NOT a career

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Now don't get me wrong. I think it's wonderful for women to be able to stay home with their kids. It's important. I was raised by my grandmother, who was retired and home all the time. I was at home for 6 months with my first and I currently work part time. However, I do see something wrong if a SAHM does not have any prior job experience or a college education. It is so important for women to establish themselves in a career first, become financially independent, prior to becoming a wife and SAHM. Why be dependent on a man? I see so many young girls in our area who get married at 18 and have babies at 19, stay home, and have no way to support themselves when the man leaves. It's so sad. It's also important for a prior career woman to keep up with her skills while being a SAHM. You may eventually need to head back to work. Just had to vent this!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (421-428):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

i agree that for me, it was important that i not be dependent on anyone. i wanted to know that i could be in my marriage for me and not feel like i had to be there because i had no other choice. i also wanted to always know that no matter what happened id be able to support my family all on my own. that was important to me---BUT i also respect that not everyone feels that way. some people just really want to be a wife and mother and dont feel like they need a career to make them happy. if thats the case, more power to them. 

SusanTheWriter
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

That's great! I do think you're the exception to the rule, however. Based on my observation, many people who have the "college is BS" attitude also have a bad case of sour grapes.

Quoting Mumof2boys03:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

The biggest problem with college education, at least from what I can tell so far, is that many degrees (mostly humanities and liberal arts, of course) are pretty much useless and don't actually mean you've learned any valuable skills which are, you know, actually MARKETABLE. "General knowledge/understanding" or being "well-rounded" means nothing because you can probably soak up more information surfing the internet which essentially provides the same education for free (e.g. MIT's OpenCourseWare, etc.) and without the bullshit rituals and liberal indoctrination that comes with a typical college education.
I am a self taught software engineer. I got hired because I think outside of the box. I wasn't told how to do something, I figured it out myself. And because I'm self taught I can also problem solve better then other people who went to college in my field. While interviewing with several companies I was asked if I had a college degree and when I said no most of them said that was great!
I have a great job with amazing pay and I work from home so I can still take care of my babies without going to college.

(Excuse the grammar and punctuation errors. I am feeding my baby and writing this from mobile.)

DrSpice
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The point is............who decided that SAHMs was uneducated?

Many of the SAHMs I know are well educated mothers and some are even teachers that have chosen to educate their kids by home schooling them. so there are a lot of SAHMs that have an education to fall back on. 
There maybe one day when I go back to work and maybe I will want to raise my grandkids for my kids but I will never have to worry about all the wonderful things in my daughter's life that I missed because at an important time in her life I chose to be there..........

Quoting Momma_Jess83:

Then you are not a SAHM you are a WAHM .... and I do not think the OP was trying to bash anyone. She was just saying that we need to think about careers when we choose to be a SAHM because most of us are not fortunate enough to be a SAHM forever. Kids grow up and then what?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a SAHM and have my own business bringing in between $3,000 to $4,000 a month. I do not by any means depend on my husband. Is it stick your nose in everyone else's business day on CM? Gheesh.

VannaMae307
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

TESTIFY!*

*this message approved by a SAHM

momofmany86
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I met DH, got my first job, and got pregnant 9 months later. If we had only had one baby, I may have went back to work. But we had twins, so I stayed home because sending them to daycare would've been way more than I could afford. When my 4 year old starts preschool next year, I plan to go back to school. I'll still have a two year old at home, but that will be more affordable.

turttlemom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

probably in some cases... In my particular case, I don't bash all SAHM just my SIL hehe...and it is because she is a BAD SAHM not because I'm jealous of her.

I wish I could be with my baby 24/7 but the man I love needs some help with income and before we had our baby I was making more money than him, so no way I could stay even if I want to.

Actually when I was in collage I used to say didn't want to have babies because I didn't want them to go to daycare and also don't want to quit my career. But when you fall in love there is not much you can do heheheh

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Oh STFU, all I hear when people bash SAHM's is "I'm jealous I have to work"

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I'm actually going to get certified to be a personal trainer and head to work when I have all my kids and get them all in school. I'm certified as a athletic trainer now but I want to be a personal trainer. 

Quoting LovelyCorrupt:

Not bashing!! Just curious:

With such a high level degree, do u have plans to return to work once the kids are school age? Seems like a waste not to. It's hard enough to stay committed to a four year degree and u took it all the way to a masters!!!

Quoting wkukid:

I'm a sahm and I have a masters degree. I choose to stay home with my kids because I feel it's best for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM
I agree
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)