Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cleaning my house...and my dirty little confession...

Posted by   + Show Post

I need words of encouragement!  I know how this is going to sound...but whatever, it's just some thing that happened and I am trying to get back on track.

I am normally a very clean person.  Not OCD, but I've known to take a toothbrush to grout to get it clean.  :)  Anyway, since my daughter was born I've literally done no housework.  Just the minimum to get by.  Most nights the dishes get rinsed, but never washed and put away.  There is clutter everywhere, my carpets haven't been vacuumed in like two days (which at my house is bad because of the sand and the kids).  Also, the laundry...well, it's BAD.  I was like, oh I can put this off for a while.  Well, today is the day that the straw broke the camels back.

One: I saw a palmetto bug.  A HUGE one.  Here in Florida we have bugs...lot's and lot's of bugs.  Well, a palmetto is just a huge cockroach (they can get to be the size of the palm of your hand.  And, the best part about them?  Those buggers can fly!  Oh yes...airborne cockroaches...let that sink in for a moment.

Two:  My husband and I are going out on a date night, so we have hired a babysitter for the first time ever.  I am SO excited!  However, I would be embarrassed for someone to walk into my house right now.

So, I need encouragement.  I know I can get this done.  I cannot believe I let my depression and laziness get the best of me, and allow myself to let things get this bad.  My kids do not deserve to live like this.  :(  I feel awful about it.  I am going to get this done, and by tomorrow evening I will be updating saying my house is immaculate, and everything is going to be okay.

Please, some good words, and maybe some tips?  I know there are OCD mommy's on here that can give me some pointers.  A few questions...

Are magic erasers worth the money?
What's a good multi-purpose cleaner?
How do you get permanent marker off of a fridge? (it's the pitted surface kind)
What's your favorite air freshner?
And, are carpet deoderizers worth it?  And, what would YOU recommend?

THANKS!!!!!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
Austin 2/28/07  Lily 2/21/08  Aubrey 4/30/10 

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
evanne337
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Hugs you can do this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malee1976
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

You can do this!!!
I have a new product that I love how it works and the smell......Lysol power&free multi-purpose cleaner with hydrogen peroxide citrus sparkle zest.  I have problems with cleaning products breaking me out and this doesn't.

LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I love lysol or 409. I love cranberry or cinnamon air fresheners this time of year. I don't remember what my air freshner is but find a nice red colored one and it should smell good for this time of year. :) My new favorite carpet deodorizer is hawaiian breeze by glade. Lighting a few nice smelling candles while I clean always helps me! I also put myself at a time limit. Start with one room at a time, one side at a time. Then I think okay by 2:30 I want to have this room done. Then I go clean crazy and try to beat the time. I do that for each room and before you know it the jobs done!! Good luck, mama!

DEJavu17
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM
Try some toothpaste on that permanent marker!!! Paste not gel.
Also for your bathroom mirror use some shaving gel and a paper towel ( soft ones like viva). It will keep your mirror for fogging up :)

Baby bottles getting cloudy? Vinegar and baking soda. 2 tbsp baking soda and 1/3 cup vinegar. Let it foam up and let sit for 10 minutes. Empty then get your bottle brush in there. Works like a charm.

Put some vinegar in a sandwich bag and cover your
Shower head with it and secure with rubber band. Leave it overnight. When you wake up all the grime from the shower head will be gone.

Toss your pillows into the dryer with a few dampened dryer sheets for fresh fluffy pillows.

Quoting LilynAustin:

Thanks. Mmmm pumpkin spice...I will look for it.

Quoting workingmama86:

to get permanent marker off your fridge, try finger nail polish remover. Kids colored all over my table once with permanent marker, and I used the nail polish remover, and it came right up! 

Also, i recommend those glade candles that turn to liquid and burn until the liquid evaporates... OMG it smells tho whole house up with a nice smell! I bought the pumpkin spice kind (or something similar) and i love it! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meparty
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

www.flylady.com

cadeesmommy0120
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Magic erasers are SO worth the money.  DO NOT buy the off brand.  They were awful. 

We all slack from time to time.  You can do it hun!!!

sexychica25
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:52 PM
I swear by magic erasers. I deep clean once a week and the eraser for me takes the "work" out of scrubbing. I use a variety of products. Scrubbing bubbles for the guest bathroom tub, Clorox disinfecting with bleach for the toilet, and Clorox with soap scum for the sink. The only difference I use in the master bath is kaboom in the walk in shower, to me its easier to clean. Mr. Clean with a cup of bleach for mopping floors and a harvest blend airfreshners throughout the house. I'm big on fragrance.
What gets me motivated is my favorite Pandora station sync'd to the sound bar on the tv and a 5 hour energy and you might see me mopping the ceilings. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KKmommy3
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I love magic eraser, I have been able to get sharpie off the wall with it, and many other things.

I Like Mr. Clean,and Pine sol, and Clorox wipes for my multi purpose cleaning.

I like febreese fabric refresher on all carpet, curtian, beds, and sofa. in the house.

I also like febreese air freshener.

I have not used any carpet deodorizers for years, I never liked them, I thought you can tell they are covering up a worse smell.

WhenInRome
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
I use:
Pine sol for my floors
Arm and Hammer pet odor deodorizer on my carpets
Vinegar for cleaning glass
Old English for wood
Method all purpose cleaner for counters and sinks. The grape fruit kind smells amazing!
And for my toilets and showers I use bleach
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my3littleboys
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Yes on the Magic Eraser! (Use it on the fridge)
I clean everything with 409!
No Carpet fresheners.
Glade...If I'm right....has the fall smell out....Pumpkin one is Amazing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN