Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not sure if I should bring this up to my daughter....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party for Sat.

The problem is, this girl was likely made to invite her whole cheer team. I have heard her mock the newer girls (dd included) and I understand a little bit. She and her "bestie" take tumbling classes and live and breath cheer, meanwhile there are girls who are first years who can't even do a tumble, on the same team not to mention that these girls are 10 and dd is 8.

DD asked her what she wanted for her birthday and the girl told her "oh well I really like Alex and Ani bracelets" I am sorry kid, I am not getting you a $30 bracelet, you're 10.

If dd's friends from cheer are not going, I am considering trying to influence DD to not go. The girl goes to a private school, so dd definitely will not know anyone, and I feel like they are just doing it to "include everyone" and to get more presents.

I am not terribly happy to bring her to this party, but I also don't want to say no.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Male roller derby would be awesome lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Because I know what it is like being invited to a party that you aren't actually wanted at, or even if I was, where I knew no one but the birthday child who has multiple other children clinging to them as well.

I also do not want my dd learning this girl's attitude problem.

I can't say that I didn't get it, they gave it to DD, she gave it to me and begged to go. The birthday child is one of the "older, cool kids" on the team

Quoting inmybizz:

why don't you want your daughter to go?

charliebean
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I like how you assume everyone was invited just so she can get more presents. If I was her mom, I would uninvite you just for that shitty attitude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I think she should go.  It would give her a chance to get to know at least a couple of the girls.  Bonding is always good for teammates - especially new teammates.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

How do you know why your daughter was invited?  Don't push your issues onto your kid.  You're daughter wants to go.  It's not something dangerous; you should let her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I know what it is like being invited to a party that you aren't actually wanted at, or even if I was, where I knew no one but the birthday child who has multiple other children clinging to them as well.

I also do not want my dd learning this girl's attitude problem.

I can't say that I didn't get it, they gave it to DD, she gave it to me and begged to go. The birthday child is one of the "older, cool kids" on the team

Quoting inmybizz:

why don't you want your daughter to go?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

men's pad smell even worse. Hell, when they turn the corner of the rink the crowd gets a whiff, bleh lol.

We have two men's teams The Dirty Dozen out in Western MA and Central MA has Mass Maelstrom. Not to mention four women's teams. WFTDA will not let WFTDA teams practice with a male team on a regular basis, which does not help the formation of male derby teams.

Quoting Anonymous:

nahh, around here we only have womans teams, there is some small talk going on about starting a brother team with my team but it's all just small talk thus far... no one is really into male teams here.... the woman are kinda thinking "damn this is the ONLY sport for JUST woman you and men wanna wreck us?!" but I don't really care too much, my hubby reffs us and if there was a males team im pretty sure he would be a cap't    thats tight your state has multiple teams... I don't think we have a single one in cali...

Quoting Anonymous:

A male derby team. Actually the local team just combined with the other male team in the state and now practices are too far. So he is toying with the idea of becoming a ref for our women's team.

Have you heard of Mass Maelstrom?

Quoting Anonymous:

a male derby team? or is daddy a reff? around here we have ZERO male teams...

Quoting Anonymous:

it is at a skating rink, and dd cannot skate, but daddy does roller derby so he will be accompanying her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The girl asked for Alex and Ani bracelets for her birthday, and from her attitude she is a spoiled brat.

As for bonding as a team that someone else mentioned, they have a week left in the season and DD has decided that theatre is more important to her then cheer is, so she will not be returning.

Her mom is team mom, that is probably why they invited everyone on the team, not because the girl actually wants my daughter to be there.

Quoting charliebean:

I like how you assume everyone was invited just so she can get more presents. If I was her mom, I would uninvite you just for that shitty attitude.

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, you sound like the snob.  You have no idea why your daughter was truly invited.  Your daughter asked her what she wanted, she's 10.  $30 is not that much.  It really seems like you have some chip on your shoulder.  You are worried about this girl's attitude rubbing off on your daughter?  Better watch out for your own attitude. No one like little girls that have chips on their shoulders.

Quoting Anonymous:

The girl asked for Alex and Ani bracelets for her birthday, and from her attitude she is a spoiled brat.

As for bonding as a team that someone else mentioned, they have a week left in the season and DD has decided that theatre is more important to her then cheer is, so she will not be returning.

Her mom is team mom, that is probably why they invited everyone on the team, not because the girl actually wants my daughter to be there.

Quoting charliebean:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would trust your gut on this and not go. Their only relationship is at cheer. They don't go to the same school so no sense developing a relationship with this girl. And if they are mean girls why do it. No need for your daughter to be popular with that group.  And on top of that its a skating party and she can't skate so her dad is going with her?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

In my opinion $30 is way too much for a gift from a friend. That is something that she should ask mom or grandparents for, not a friend.

By all means, continue to think that I am snob, I am just worried about my daughter getting burned by this girl. I don't want my kid to be the kid who feels completely out of place and left out, at a party that she was invited to, because the kid's parent made them invite them.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Personally, you sound like the snob.  You have no idea why your daughter was truly invited.  Your daughter asked her what she wanted, she's 10.  $30 is not that much.  It really seems like you have some chip on your shoulder.  You are worried about this girl's attitude rubbing off on your daughter?  Better watch out for your own attitude. No one like little girls that have chips on their shoulders.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting charliebean:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN