Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure if I should bring this up to my daughter....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party for Sat.

The problem is, this girl was likely made to invite her whole cheer team. I have heard her mock the newer girls (dd included) and I understand a little bit. She and her "bestie" take tumbling classes and live and breath cheer, meanwhile there are girls who are first years who can't even do a tumble, on the same team not to mention that these girls are 10 and dd is 8.

DD asked her what she wanted for her birthday and the girl told her "oh well I really like Alex and Ani bracelets" I am sorry kid, I am not getting you a $30 bracelet, you're 10.

If dd's friends from cheer are not going, I am considering trying to influence DD to not go. The girl goes to a private school, so dd definitely will not know anyone, and I feel like they are just doing it to "include everyone" and to get more presents.

I am not terribly happy to bring her to this party, but I also don't want to say no.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Well one of us would be going with her regardless. But I am 24 wks pregnant and broke my tailbone last time I tried to skate, so obviously I am not skating with her. Daddy can skate and is very skilled at skating, so he will be accompanying her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would trust your gut on this and not go. Their only relationship is at cheer. They don't go to the same school so no sense developing a relationship with this girl. And if they are mean girls why do it. No need for your daughter to be popular with that group.  And on top of that its a skating party and she can't skate so her dad is going with her?  

AmyG1976
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

including everyone is not way to get more presents really lol sorry but that just read like you really believe that. either way if she is not friends with the kid and doesnt want to be then dont let her go if she wants to become better freinds and get to know her outside of cheer and meet new kids then well I would let her.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Lol I'm laughing at "I'm not spending 30$ on you because you are 10" seriously. Thats a totally reasonable gift price for any age.
But if she's mean to your Dd then make fun plans for that day and tell your Dd you forgot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Your kid will never make new friends if you don't allow her to get out of her comfort zone a little.

Maybe there is a whole different side to this other girl that you don't know about nor will you ever get to know about if you don't let your daughter get involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I know what it is like being invited to a party that you aren't actually wanted at, or even if I was, where I knew no one but the birthday child who has multiple other children clinging to them as well.

I also do not want my dd learning this girl's attitude problem.

I can't say that I didn't get it, they gave it to DD, she gave it to me and begged to go. The birthday child is one of the "older, cool kids" on the team

Quoting inmybizz:

why don't you want your daughter to go?

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM

we don't even spend that much on family, unless it is my nephew, then I might hit $30.

But I wouldn't get one thing that cost $30, if I spent that much it would be because I got a few things. Our budget for any birthday party is $15-$20 if we really can't find something under $15.

I don't even know what to get this kid, maybe a gift card to Justice?  I am sure my dd will pick out a doll or a book for her, and I don't think that will float.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Lol I'm laughing at "I'm not spending 30$ on you because you are 10" seriously. Thats a totally reasonable gift price for any age.
But if she's mean to your Dd then make fun plans for that day and tell your Dd you forgot.

charliebean
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
So her mom was nice enough to make sure no one on the team felt left out, but you're concerned about a 10-year-old girl wanting a bracelet? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

The girl asked for Alex and Ani bracelets for her birthday, and from her attitude she is a spoiled brat.

As for bonding as a team that someone else mentioned, they have a week left in the season and DD has decided that theatre is more important to her then cheer is, so she will not be returning.

Her mom is team mom, that is probably why they invited everyone on the team, not because the girl actually wants my daughter to be there.

Quoting charliebean:

I like how you assume everyone was invited just so she can get more presents. If I was her mom, I would uninvite you just for that shitty attitude.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM
That girl sounds like a snobby little brat, and not someone I'd want my child to be friends with, anyway. I wouldn't want my daughter to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Not to mention that I don't even have an Alex and Ani bracelet because I cannot see spending $30 on a bangle

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Quoting nocalmegan:

For some people $30 is working 6 hours.  glad it doesn't mean a lot to you but its way above my limit for birthday presents

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

This is kind of my point.

The coach will also say okay lets do X again and the girl practically throws a fit, because she has it down so why should she do it again.

Quoting PinkieRed:

That girl sounds like a snobby little brat, and not someone I'd want my child to be friends with, anyway. I wouldn't want my daughter to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured