Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not sure if I should bring this up to my daughter....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party for Sat.

The problem is, this girl was likely made to invite her whole cheer team. I have heard her mock the newer girls (dd included) and I understand a little bit. She and her "bestie" take tumbling classes and live and breath cheer, meanwhile there are girls who are first years who can't even do a tumble, on the same team not to mention that these girls are 10 and dd is 8.

DD asked her what she wanted for her birthday and the girl told her "oh well I really like Alex and Ani bracelets" I am sorry kid, I am not getting you a $30 bracelet, you're 10.

If dd's friends from cheer are not going, I am considering trying to influence DD to not go. The girl goes to a private school, so dd definitely will not know anyone, and I feel like they are just doing it to "include everyone" and to get more presents.

I am not terribly happy to bring her to this party, but I also don't want to say no.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
702girly
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting charliebean:

I like how you assume everyone was invited just so she can get more presents. If I was her mom, I would uninvite you just for that shitty attitude.

I was thinking this too. Maybe the parents invited the whole team because they didn't want anyone to feel left out, not because they're greedy assholes who want more presents.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
6 hours? Where is min wage 5$ lol. Isn't the lowest in the US 7.25$ or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Lol I'm laughing at "I'm not spending 30$ on you because you are 10" seriously. Thats a totally reasonable gift price for any age.

But if she's mean to your Dd then make fun plans for that day and tell your Dd you forgot.

For some people $30 is working 6 hours.  glad it doesn't mean a lot to you but its way above my limit for birthday presents

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I agree with this. I guess you and I are in the minority here. And even if the other girls are less skilled at cheerleading, it's poor sportsmanship for those girls to be mocking them. They don't sound like they'd make very good friends.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would trust your gut on this and not go. Their only relationship is at cheer. They don't go to the same school so no sense developing a relationship with this girl. And if they are mean girls why do it. No need for your daughter to be popular with that group.  And on top of that its a skating party and she can't skate so her dad is going with her?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:52 PM

after taxes it may work out to that much in some places.

Even still, it could be an hr's worth of working, it is still too much for a child's birthday. Unless it is your own child.

For DD's birthday she got my old nook and a $50 giftcard for books for it.

Quoting nocalmegan:

6 hours? Where is min wage 5$ lol. Isn't the lowest in the US 7.25$ or something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Lol I'm laughing at "I'm not spending 30$ on you because you are 10" seriously. Thats a totally reasonable gift price for any age.

But if she's mean to your Dd then make fun plans for that day and tell your Dd you forgot.

For some people $30 is working 6 hours.  glad it doesn't mean a lot to you but its way above my limit for birthday presents

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I guess. I still consider it a fair amount. I don't think in reality her request was unreasonable even if for your budget you feel like it was.

Quoting Anonymous:

Even still, it could be an hr's worth of working, it is still too much for a child's birthday. Unless it is your own child.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I just feel like Alex and Ani bracelets are for adults, they are expensive and considered "high-end". Just like it is stupid to get a kid a coach bag

Quoting nocalmegan:

I guess. I still consider it a fair amount. I don't think in reality her request was unreasonable even if for your budget you feel like it was.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I am the mom of boys we don't get into all this friends drama.  Maybe you are too?  Don't know why the girls have all this popularity issues except it may be a way of figuring out true friendships and in my adult life its been my few girl friends who have got my back.

Quoting PinkieRed:

I agree with this. I guess you and I are in the minority here. And even if the other girls are less skilled at cheerleading, it's poor sportsmanship for those girls to be mocking them. They don't sound like they'd make very good friends.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would trust your gut on this and not go. Their only relationship is at cheer. They don't go to the same school so no sense developing a relationship with this girl. And if they are mean girls why do it. No need for your daughter to be popular with that group.  And on top of that its a skating party and she can't skate so her dad is going with her?  

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM
lol this.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM
That's not right. If I was that girl's mom, I'd tell her she needs to get her attitude in check. Being on a team means learning to deal with team mates of differing abilities.

My daughter is (well was, today was the last day of the season) on her high school freshman girls' volleyball team. She never played volleyball before. The team had a couple other girls who had never played either, some who had played a little, and some who were very skilled. But from what my daughter says, it was a nice group of girls, who were all supportive of each other. I'm glad about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is kind of my point.

The coach will also say okay lets do X again and the girl practically throws a fit, because she has it down so why should she do it again.

Quoting PinkieRed:

That girl sounds like a snobby little brat, and not someone I'd want my child to be friends with, anyway. I wouldn't want my daughter to go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Fine so its 5 hours worth or work.  Why don't you figure out what 5 hours worth of your families income is and give it to the next waitress you tip. or leave it for the next maid who cleans your hotel room, Or the person who packs your groceries, or delivers your newspaper.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)