Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not sure if I should bring this up to my daughter....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party for Sat.

The problem is, this girl was likely made to invite her whole cheer team. I have heard her mock the newer girls (dd included) and I understand a little bit. She and her "bestie" take tumbling classes and live and breath cheer, meanwhile there are girls who are first years who can't even do a tumble, on the same team not to mention that these girls are 10 and dd is 8.

DD asked her what she wanted for her birthday and the girl told her "oh well I really like Alex and Ani bracelets" I am sorry kid, I am not getting you a $30 bracelet, you're 10.

If dd's friends from cheer are not going, I am considering trying to influence DD to not go. The girl goes to a private school, so dd definitely will not know anyone, and I feel like they are just doing it to "include everyone" and to get more presents.

I am not terribly happy to bring her to this party, but I also don't want to say no.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (61-70):
nichole_erin
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM
30 bucks for a birthday gift is not that much...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Jeez you kind of suck lol I mean I'm all for being grateful cmon birthday gifts are meant to be frivolous and FUN... I bet you give out toothbrushes on Halloween...

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there any good books out for 10 yr olds?

Most parties we go to are family friends and I try to get something at least a little educational, be it a board game, book, science experiment kit, etc

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

If by cheap you mean I live on a tight budget yes.

Both my husband and I are, and were raised lower middle class. In my world, $30 is expensive, that is the line where things are started to be considered "expensive" unless it is an electronic. We don't need assistance but we don't have it easy.

When I just went to pick up dd from cheer, mom had 8 ( yes, I counted) A&A bracelets on. No wonder the girl wanted one.

Anyway mom said the girl really loves to read and suggested a gift certificate for the local used book store.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I dunno. Sounds like you are just cheap all around. If you don't have the money that's a whole other story, but you haven't mentioned that at all so I'm going to assume that you are just cheap. If that's not the case then please correct me and then I take it back but until then.....

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM
How do you know that the girl even knows how much the bracelet costs?

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all, $30 is expensive for one item. A $30 bracelet is much more high end then a $15 watch. I won't even buy a dress for $25 unless it is really fancy.

I didn't have DD ask anything, all of this went down without me knowing, dd took it upon herself to ask, or the girl willingly told her, I don't know.

My inlaws go to the coach outlet and never spend more then $70 on a bag, they bought dd a bag for $40, it is on the top most shelf of closet because she doesn't use it and will just lose it, or get it stolen.

I was expecting something like " this book" or " a barbie" or " this movie" or "monster high"

I would have a stern talking to with my daughter asked someone for something as frivolous as a bracelet that was that expensive.

Also, you can easily find a nice barbie for $20, or a really cool book for $15

Quoting nocalmegan:

You aren't understanding. 30$ isn't expensive. Just because something exceeds your specific budget doesn't make something really expensive. To someone who is in the negative every month 5$ would be expensive but in reality 5$ isnt expensive. Make sense? You could easily spend 30$ on a barbie nowadays. If you couldnt of afforded a normal priced item you shouldn't of had your Dd ask what she wanted ESP since unless it met your low budget you were just gonna complain about these "high end" gifts she's asking for when they aren't, in reality, high end.

Quoting Anonymous:

As I said, I expect to spend about $15 -20 on a gift.

I am thinking maybe a $20 Justice gift card.

No ten yr old that I know asks for expensive jewelry, the last party we went to for a 9 yr old, the girl asked for a barbie.

My daughter doesn't even know what Alex and Ani is

Quoting nocalmegan:

Right!? Nobody is ever happy anymore tho. If the girl were to request a Wii it would be outrageous. So she asks for a 30$ gift and it's still WAY to much for a present. No 10 year old is going to ask for a 5$ gift. If you cant afford a small amount then don't ask what the kid wants. Just get something cheap and let it be.

Quoting msjaxon:

This. Pandora bracelets are "high end" and the low end of high end lol...

Quoting nocalmegan:

I dont really think anything that's only 30$ to be high end ESP when compared to a coach bag which can be hundreds to a few thousand $$.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just feel like Alex and Ani bracelets are for adults, they are expensive and considered "high-end". Just like it is stupid to get a kid a coach bag

Quoting nocalmegan:

I guess. I still consider it a fair amount. I don't think in reality her request was unreasonable even if for your budget you feel like it was.

Quoting Anonymous:

after taxes it may work out to that much in some places.

Even still, it could be an hr's worth of working, it is still too much for a child's birthday. Unless it is your own child.

For DD's birthday she got my old nook and a $50 giftcard for books for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope reeses peanut butter cups, because there are only three families that we ever see trick or treating on our street and they are my favorite candies. One of the benefits of having nearly no trick or treaters is that your neighbors don't either, so they give you handfuls of candy.

My kids love those things, we get kits and board games for the big families, that have one party for multiple kids.

My kids like books, legos, movies, and games for their nintendo DS.

Quoting msjaxon:

Jeez you kind of suck lol I mean I'm all for being grateful cmon birthday gifts are meant to be frivolous and FUN... I bet you give out toothbrushes on Halloween...

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there any good books out for 10 yr olds?

Most parties we go to are family friends and I try to get something at least a little educational, be it a board game, book, science experiment kit, etc

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Because at practice tonight my daughter apparently told her that I thought it was too expensive and she said " it is only $30"

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

How do you know that the girl even knows how much the bracelet costs?
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Well that's different entirely. Not buying a 30$ gift because you cant afford it and not buying it because the child is only 10 is very different. if 30$ will hurt your budget then don't spend 30$ but if it won't and it's solely based in the fact the kid is 10 then that's cheap. Kwim

Quoting Anonymous:

Both my husband and I are, and were raised lower middle class. In my world, $30 is expensive, that is the line where things are started to be considered "expensive" unless it is an electronic. We don't need assistance but we don't have it easy.

When I just went to pick up dd from cheer, mom had 8 ( yes, I counted) A&A bracelets on. No wonder the girl wanted one.

Anyway mom said the girl really loves to read and suggested a gift certificate for the local used book store.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I dunno. Sounds like you are just cheap all around. If you don't have the money that's a whole other story, but you haven't mentioned that at all so I'm going to assume that you are just cheap. If that's not the case then please correct me and then I take it back but until then.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM
I saw let her go and try to find her own way. If the girls continue being little bullies, I would talk to the parents. If that doesn't work, switch cheer teams.

Sometimes you've got to let your kids work it out themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Used books are 50% off and new books are 30% off, so I am thinking maybe a $15 certificate will be adequate.

Mom said she likes cats, I think there is a book series called The Guardians? that is about cats

Quoting nocalmegan:

Well that's different entirely. Not buying a 30$ gift because you cant afford it and not buying it because the child is only 10 is very different. if 30$ will hurt your budget then don't spend 30$ but if it won't and it's solely based in the fact the kid is 10 then that's cheap. Kwim

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, there you go. She wasn't asking for one because she is snobby. In her household it is a normal thing. At 10 they don't always realize that different families have different finances.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nocalmegan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)