Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Talking to other people's kids about same sex marriage?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How should it be handled?

I had to babysit a coworker's daughter last night and she said "can I marry you?" and when I told her no and she asked if it was because we were both girls I told her that no, two girls can get married but that we couldn't get married because she was a little girl and I'm an adult. Today at work my coworker asked me why I told her daughter that two girls could get married because she had to tell her that was wrong.

Did I handle it properly or should I have handled it differently?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
Ciuplys
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM
I wouldn't have answered that question. I would have change the subject. I would have felt to awkward to even come up with a answer. If it was my kid yes I would have but not someone else.

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM
See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's fact not opinion. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

****edit: GAY not FAT.

Quoting Ciuplys:

I wouldn't have answered that question. I would have change the subject. I would have felt to awkward to even come up with a answer. If it was my kid yes I would have but not someone else.

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM
You crossed a boundary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Kids don't distinguish opinion from fact. They assume if a grownup is telling them something, it's true.

Quoting Anonymous:

See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's opinion not fact. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Oh my god I'm an idiot. I meant to write its fact not opinion :( anyway its fact they can get married. It's in no way my opinion.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Kids don't distinguish opinion from fact. They assume if a grownup is telling them something, it's true.

Quoting Anonymous:

See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's opinion not fact. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM
It's only a fact in certain states....so, even that is iffy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my god I'm an idiot. I meant to write its fact not opinion :( anyway its fact they can get married. It's in no way my opinion.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Well thank god I don't live in America. I think I would die with all the backwards thinking.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Ok. Fair enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well thank god I don't live in America. I think I would die with all the backwards thinking.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM
That's a difficult situation to be in. I dunno. I probably would have said you need to ask your mom. Although I wouldn't have thought much of and just spoken off the cuff because it may not have crossed my mind that it was 'taboo.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Fail on her part. Do people really not understand that their children will not grow up in a bubble? You didn't give her a long rambling gay rights speech, you just gave a flippant one sentence answer. Totally acceptable. And, if mom feels like she needs to correct some information then she should. But that's not your problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)