Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Talking to other people's kids about same sex marriage?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How should it be handled?

I had to babysit a coworker's daughter last night and she said "can I marry you?" and when I told her no and she asked if it was because we were both girls I told her that no, two girls can get married but that we couldn't get married because she was a little girl and I'm an adult. Today at work my coworker asked me why I told her daughter that two girls could get married because she had to tell her that was wrong.

Did I handle it properly or should I have handled it differently?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
Ciuplys
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM
I wouldn't have answered that question. I would have change the subject. I would have felt to awkward to even come up with a answer. If it was my kid yes I would have but not someone else.

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM
See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's fact not opinion. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

****edit: GAY not FAT.

Quoting Ciuplys:

I wouldn't have answered that question. I would have change the subject. I would have felt to awkward to even come up with a answer. If it was my kid yes I would have but not someone else.

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM
You crossed a boundary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Kids don't distinguish opinion from fact. They assume if a grownup is telling them something, it's true.

Quoting Anonymous:

See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's opinion not fact. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Oh my god I'm an idiot. I meant to write its fact not opinion :( anyway its fact they can get married. It's in no way my opinion.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Kids don't distinguish opinion from fact. They assume if a grownup is telling them something, it's true.

Quoting Anonymous:

See I didn't feel awkward nor did it even cross my mind that it would. It's opinion not fact. I wasn't stating my views on fat marriage just that they could legally get married.

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM
It's only a fact in certain states....so, even that is iffy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my god I'm an idiot. I meant to write its fact not opinion :( anyway its fact they can get married. It's in no way my opinion.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Well thank god I don't live in America. I think I would die with all the backwards thinking.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Ok. Fair enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well thank god I don't live in America. I think I would die with all the backwards thinking.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ciuplys:

Quoting Ciuplys:

How old was the child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM
That's a difficult situation to be in. I dunno. I probably would have said you need to ask your mom. Although I wouldn't have thought much of and just spoken off the cuff because it may not have crossed my mind that it was 'taboo.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Fail on her part. Do people really not understand that their children will not grow up in a bubble? You didn't give her a long rambling gay rights speech, you just gave a flippant one sentence answer. Totally acceptable. And, if mom feels like she needs to correct some information then she should. But that's not your problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)