Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to get the 2yr old outta our bed and make way for the next baby! *Cosleeping*

Posted by   + Show Post

We Co-sleep always have always will, if you don't agree I don't care, so save your breath, We do it right and never had a scare.

We co-slept with our almost two year old from birth but now with our next on its way we know we will not be able to safely and comfortably co-sleep with a newborn and two and a half year old once baby is here in June.

So how do I start to get DS to sleep in his toddler bed?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Get a bigger bed. The point of cosleeping is to share the bed with the child until they are ready to move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Does she have her own big girl bed? Maybe she could pick out the bedding for it? Maybe she could get a build a bear to help her out in the beginning?
Growing up will not cause your dd psychological damage, so dont worry about that. You have plenty of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
halleys_mommy_1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM
I co slept with my parents and can't for the life of my remember any of it. My earliest memory was my brother putting me in a fish tank..... and that was when I still slept in my parents bed.

Op- we have been letting ds fall asleep in our bed then moving him to his bed. Its a Cars bed w cars sheets and fun stuffed animals.
He wakes up around 530 or 6 to come with us but that's when DH is getting ready for work.
Just keep working on it and don't force him. Maybe have the bed in your room and when you have it set up make a BIG deal about how comphy it is and how you want to sleep there but that its HIS bed.

Quoting Anonymous:

do you honestly think the child will NOT remember being in your bed??  there is no 'making it normal for him' at this point...he will remember your bed for the rest of his life....keep that in mind, when he wants to get into bed with you and the baby. 

Quoting krunchykorn:

Well thats why I am going to start making the move now, in an attempt to make it normal to him before baby is here till have 36 weeks until I am due lol

Quoting Anonymous:

YOU  DON'T  or he will come to HATE the baby who took his place...make room for both, unless  you want to cause physchological harm to your son. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM

thats probably the WORST thing she could do...pedi's do not normally accept co-sleeping

Quoting Anonymous:

Ask your pediatrician for advice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

thats probably the WORST thing she could do...pedi's do not normally accept co-sleeping

Quoting Anonymous:

Ask your pediatrician for advice.

Wouldn't hurt to ask.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM
My kids were crib babies sorry here's a bump though.
My youngest is 2 and now co-sleeps but that was totally by accident. I haven't slept in the bed with dh in months (I prefer the couch anyway so I'm cool with it). It started a few months ago. DS started climbing into bed after he would fall asleep in random places because he prefers the floor. It started as him waking up in the middle of the night and climbing up to play but then he started bringing his blanket and sippy and just took over lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
molly_ann
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Good luck! I have a 6 y/o dd that still finds her way in my bed at night. Normally I wake up with a foot in the face! That and she snores really loud!

I'd say start now. Even if it's a few minutes at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kool_Aide
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Ahhhhh *big stretch*

I slept brilliantly last night while my kids slept in their own beds. I'm so happy they are able to soothe themselves like the awesome human beings that they are.
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Just use the "big boy" approach. Buy a bed he likes such as a race car etc and bedding he picks out. Then put the bed in your room at first and praise him for using it. When I say praise, tell everyone excitedly that he slept in his own bed all by himself. Then after a week or so, have him involved in fixing his own room up and eventually move the toddler bed to the new room. He still might come into your bed at night or early on the morning but that's the risk you take by starting cosleeping. My sister had a hard time getting my niece out of their room. She was 6 before she started sleeping in her own room. She was the youngest though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Make it fun for him. Does he have a big boy bed? If not let him help pick it out and the same with sheets and comforters and such.

Make a huge deal about how awesome it is for him to have his own big boy bed. Tell him what a big boy he is and so on. Play that up.

You might start transitioning him to his bed by letting him take naps there at first. You might have to sit on the floor and pay his back till he falls asleep but try that first and then after a month play it up and try to get him to sleep in it at night.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured