Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do you call him your husband if he isn't your husband?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've seen this often on here and was just wondering why women do that. Discuss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (281-290):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I could give less if the two of you are married or not. He's just not your husband. It sends a wrong message. And come on ..you can change your name for your degrees or hyphen. That's an excuse.

Sure, a piece of paper doesnt declare you are committed. A piece of paper also didn't change your ex! He changed because HE changed over time as people do.

And you already proved me right.. you're scared to get married because of your past. Your scared your man could change like your ex husband and you would then again have to go through a divorce and lose a man you love.... which broken down means you don't want to get married because you're scared of divorce!

Quoting lnrmom:

I don't want to get married because I have no faith in it. When I got married the first time, my ex did a complete 180 and it scares the crap out of me. Not that I'm not committed. A piece of paper doesn't mean that either of us are "committed". Look at all the "my husband cheated on me" posts. Come on now. Let's get real. Who gives a fuck if we get married legally? If we don't, why should you care? AND further, unless I told you we weren't legally married, how would you know? Think about it. If we got married I wouldn't change my name, I have DEGREES (yes plural) in my maiden name. I'm not changing my name.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes then she is the one who does not want to be fully committed.

People don't get married because they don't want to deal with the hassle of divorce and splitting things up or because they're not fully committed for life. Plain and simple.

Quoting lnrmom:

What if its HER that doesn't want to get married? Is she the one "not committed"?

Get a clue. Not everyone cares about a piece of paper.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because women like to believe their boyfriend or fiance is so committed ti them after so long and say husband to feel better about not saying boyfriend. Most women don't want to admit they have kids and no husband or hit a certain age and no husband.

If both people truely wanted to be committed to eachother for life... they would be married. Some like to believe their "husbands" are committed to them, but clearly aren't!

autum.leaves
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't get it either. I especially don't understand why women that don't believe in getting married call their boyfriend husband. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM

So you tell people you have a Common Law Marriage?

Quoting Amber5151:

Actually, look up state of Texas common law marriage. He is my husband according to the two attorneys I have asked

Quoting owl0210:

He's your boyfriend not your husband.  

Quoting Amber5151:

This. We have been together for a long time, own a home together, have children together, have a life together, we are more than ” girlfriend/boy friend”. He is my husband and I am his wife. Just because we don't have a marriage license doesn't mean anything to me

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we've been together so long, he obviously isn't going anywhere- and I don't need a piece of paper to say so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Honestly, imo you and your wife have more of a right to use which ever last name you choose. Man and woman have the right to marry anywhere, thus making them husband and wife. In your situation you don't have that right available to you. So I think it is absolutely fine to use each others last name.

Quoting wkukid:

I don't. She's my wife lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
You have a very very awesome point.

Quoting autum.leaves:

I don't get it either. I especially don't understand why women that don't believe in getting marriage call their boyfriend husband. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I have my wife's last name. Honestly I'm a clear cut femme and she's a pretty clear butch. We always knew I would take her name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Here i call him SO but mainly i call him asshole cause he keeps me pissed off 99% of the time.
MissLoveLyfe
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
You got treated like crap because you weren't married?

Quoting ShellGardner:

We do too but sometimes you have to be mature because people don't get everything they want. I wanted my child's last name and to never be treated like crap at the hospital again if I had another baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

We want a wedding...

Quoting ShellGardner:

80 bucks got me married

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we're engadged and broke or we would be married.

Quoting owl0210:

Why not just call him your boyfriend?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I can. Derp...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I don't know. Mine is actually my husband. :)

epaolini
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

wehn my dh and i got together(almost 3 yrs ago) it was instant that he started calling me wife,,, so naturually i picked up and called him husband..but when we got married last september it was really wierd to say husband.. i dunno.. !? was just easier i think in my head caling him husband really solidified our relationship that he was the one

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN