Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you call him your husband if he isn't your husband?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've seen this often on here and was just wondering why women do that. Discuss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
For the same reason many married women don't change their last name.. they don't have to :)

Quoting owl0210:

Why not make it legal then? If you're so adamant that you're married what's the problem? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares if people think we have that paper? My husband and I dont care what anyone thinks. To US we ARE husbanf and wife :)

There are morr ways to be married than through a government issued paper. In many cultures the government isnt involved at all.

In all the ways that matter, we are married. We said our vows and made our promises and have committed ourselves to each other forever... Therefor he is my husband in all the ways that matter :)

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

LOL, but calling him your husband makes people assume you have that paper so you make no sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we are a family and together forever.

And a piece of paper won't make us more committed or more in love.

I don't want to throw a party yet because I don't feel like it. I will throw our big party when we pay off our house in a few years.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Some people don't need that paper to consider themselves husband and wife. In the old days, the ceremony was something only the rich went through. The poor just moved in together and were considered married. S/o and I don't call each other husband and wife, but that is because we don't want to even after 15 yrs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prieta05
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Because girls wanna claim their men like dogs lmao!!! I personally think its ridicolous and then look like a fool if you end up breaking with that person. The hell i didnt say my DH was husband until a year later after i married him and thats because people stared asking me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RitaTequila531
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
This

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Because they can. Its really that simple. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Even if I kept my maiden name I would've still been married. You aren't married so why do you call your boyfriend your husband??? 

Quoting Anonymous:

For the same reason many married women don't change their last name.. they don't have to :)

Quoting owl0210:

Why not make it legal then? If you're so adamant that you're married what's the problem? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares if people think we have that paper? My husband and I dont care what anyone thinks. To US we ARE husbanf and wife :)

There are morr ways to be married than through a government issued paper. In many cultures the government isnt involved at all.

In all the ways that matter, we are married. We said our vows and made our promises and have committed ourselves to each other forever... Therefor he is my husband in all the ways that matter :)

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

LOL, but calling him your husband makes people assume you have that paper so you make no sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't want to throw a party yet because I don't feel like it. I will throw our big party when we pay off our house in a few years.

ShellGardner
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM
80 bucks got me married

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we're engadged and broke or we would be married.

Quoting owl0210:

Why not just call him your boyfriend?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I can. Derp...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Idk... it annoys me too...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I call him SO. He calls me fiance or wife depending on who he is talking to. I am more then happy to marry him but I told him not until he asks the right way. :) If I can't refer to him as SO then I call him my boyfriend. Because right now that is what he is :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Ummm, did you not see what the OP was about?  She asked why women change their last name when they aren't married.  You said because you are a family and together forever.  So, you think changing your last name to his makes you more committed.  Guess you can't even follow your own train of thought.  So, again, by your train here in the second comment, changing you last name doesn't make you more committed, either?  Why did you do it?  Keep it straight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who said changing your last name will?

Not me

Many married women keep their maiden name

Quoting Anonymous:

But changing your last name will?  Do you have any idea how that sounds?

Quoting Anonymous:

gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Because its been nine years and he calls me his wife, we file joint taxes, we have a house and a child. The last thing we need is some piece of paper to validate what we have in our hearts. Plus I think spending that much cash on one day is silly, I have race car to build!

If everything seems under control,

your just not going fast enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured