Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you call him your husband if he isn't your husband?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've seen this often on here and was just wondering why women do that. Discuss!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (151-160):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I did because he was introducing me as his wife. Everyone who knew we were engaged would refer to us as husband and wife. My mil would introduce me as her daughter in law and my parents would say my husband was their son in law. We are marred now so ot is no big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't get it either. DH was first my bf, then he became my DF and subsequently my husband and father of our child. I didn't see the need to skip titles, because it would have been a lie. Plus, I was comfortable with not having to call him something that he wasn't.
I think some of the women aren't comfortable with their relationship status, and call their SO, a DH gives them some false sense of security. I respect couples that choose not to get married, my SIL is like that. But she doesn't call her SO her DH because he isn't. And I respect her for owning up to it and not being ashamed of her status.
I also wonder how many of the women have children. I think society still tends to shed a negative light on kids conceived outside of marriage. So, maybe they say DH to avoid the judgement and questions associated with it. JM2C
Shelbypb
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Lol I am very crazy like that ;p I call mine df even if he hasn't asked me to yet we have only been going out or 6 months but EVERYONE knows we are going to get married

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Cause they want him to be but he probably doesn't want to be her husband. some chicks are crazy like that.

CafeMom Tickers
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM
No idea why people do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I don't know why. Before we were married his was my boyfriend, then fiance. Never husband until we were married.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Dead horse.

Why do you care?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Because my husband and I got divorced than we goth back together and have lived back together for almost 10 yrs, just never remarried, we talk about it and will one day but not stressing it. Yes, I still do have his last name. So actually he is considered my future husband once removed! Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Odds are, he won't marry her.  It seems many young men are not wanting to get married anymore.  They love the live in situation, but want to be able to get out whenever they want.  

Quoting owl0210:

Even if I kept my maiden name I would've still been married. You aren't married so why do you call your boyfriend your husband??? 

Quoting Anonymous:

For the same reason many married women don't change their last name.. they don't have to :)

Quoting owl0210:

Why not make it legal then? If you're so adamant that you're married what's the problem? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Who cares if people think we have that paper? My husband and I dont care what anyone thinks. To US we ARE husbanf and wife :)

There are morr ways to be married than through a government issued paper. In many cultures the government isnt involved at all.

In all the ways that matter, we are married. We said our vows and made our promises and have committed ourselves to each other forever... Therefor he is my husband in all the ways that matter :)

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

LOL, but calling him your husband makes people assume you have that paper so you make no sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because we are a family and together forever.

And a piece of paper won't make us more committed or more in love.

I don't want to throw a party yet because I don't feel like it. I will throw our big party when we pay off our house in a few years.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

This right here is a perfect example of why it's not just a piece of paper. You are fighting for what heterosexuals have and the one's playing house don't understand the importance and benefits that piece of paper comes with.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate when people do this. I am gay, but until I can get legally married to my partner that is all she is...my partner. Well until we get engaged. Then i will refer to her as my fiancée. But I never refer to her as my wife. Because she isn't. And neither am I hers. I think it is stupid. If you want your significant other to be your husband and/or wife then get married. Otherwise, all you are doing is playing some little elementary game.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM

There's a girl I went ot high school with...she has 3 kids, with 3 different men, and shes with a guy now and she called him her husband, I just wanna slap the SHHH out of her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured