Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My toddler is going to be the death of me!!

Posted by   + Show Post
He can't go a single day without getting hurt. Its not even 9am and he already bruised his cheek and has an egg on his head. I can't win with him. He has a sensory disorder where he seeks out impact or pain(though he doesn't respond to pain) He is constantly doing something risky just for the "ooff" factor. If he's not doing it on purpose its a consequence of whatever it is he's doing. Like the bruised cheek. Playing with cabnet door slipped hit the door lol egg on his head? Got mad and threw his toy in the air....it came back down. We can never have a period of time bruise free lol I swear he's gonna be the death of me. Just now he smacked his nose. Today just isn't his day.
Ok vent over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM
OMG! So scary! I'm glad he's OK!

Quoting ladyraven16:

Ugh I know how you feel but my son gets er worthy injuries at least 4 times per year since he turned 1.

This year we've been 3 times. He broke his toe, I have no idea how, I took him because he was limping around. He learned how to ride a 2 wheeler 2mo after his 3rd bday, fell off and broke his tooth and got a concussion with a helmet on. Then in May he fell out of a tree and somehow had a branch go through the roof of his mouth. It stopped 1/4in from his jugular. I hope we are done for awhile.

He also gets the normal bumps, bruises, scrapes etc constantly. He has SPD too.

weirdkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Yup. Its part of the disorder. Their brains don't process pain but process fear. Like shots. If they catch him off guard he doesn't even notice but if they hold him down he freaks. They respond to the fear and shock, not the pain. Its really weird. His Dr said to watch. Let boys be boys but if it swells and bruises almost instantly its time for an xray. (Bones)

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my everyday life also! A 2 1/2 year old punching bag, for himself!

I have a question. When your son get's hurt does he ever cry? Like from the shock of it or out of fear? I suspect my son may have a disorder when it comes to pain. But he does cry when he get's hurt *sometimes*. It usually lasts a couple of seconds until I say "you're OK". Then, no matter what happened or what injury he has, he stops crying and carries on. There have been days where he get 3 or 4 eggs on his head and doesn't even flinch!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Yea he was bleeding like crazy the last time. It was also much darker blood than the normal bright red so I knew whatever it was, it was bad! I was shaking the whole drive to the hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ladyraven16:

Ugh I know how you feel but my son gets er worthy injuries at least 4 times per year since he turned 1.

This year we've been 3 times. He broke his toe, I have no idea how, I took him because he was limping around. He learned how to ride a 2 wheeler 2mo after his 3rd bday, fell off and broke his tooth and got a concussion with a helmet on. Then in May he fell out of a tree and somehow had a branch go through the roof of his mouth. It stopped 1/4in from his jugular. I hope we are done for awhile.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Wow! I'm going to bring this up at his next dr. Appointment.

Everyone always comments on how "rough and tough" my son is. They think he's going to play football or do MMA or hockey because he's just so tough. As a mom, I worry! This kid knocked his tooth out at 1 and only cried when everyone jumped at him to make sure he was OK. The crying last a split second and then he was back up and at it like nothing happened.

Does your son have hunger issues also? Mine won't stop eating unless I stop him. Literally all day he would just keep going. I always wondered if the two things were related.

Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I know you aren't a doctor. I've just always wondered if I should have him checked out. I don't want to look like some crazy person thinking my son has this disorder.

Quoting weirdkids:

Yup. Its part of the disorder. Their brains don't process pain but process fear. Like shots. If they catch him off guard he doesn't even notice but if they hold him down he freaks. They respond to the fear and shock, not the pain. Its really weird. His Dr said to watch. Let boys be boys but if it swells and bruises almost instantly its time for an xray. (Bones)

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a question. When your son get's hurt does he ever cry? Like from the shock of it or out of fear? I suspect my son may have a disorder when it comes to pain. But he does cry when he get's hurt *sometimes*. It usually lasts a couple of seconds until I say "you're OK". Then, no matter what happened or what injury he has, he stops crying and carries on. There have been days where he get 3 or 4 eggs on his head and doesn't even flinch!

ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Totally agree. When my son fell out of that tree, he didn't start crying until he saw blood all over his shirt. Also, when he had strep and a double ear infection he never even told me. He loves to put his hands under really hot water, tries to touch candles etc and never cries. It's very scary because I never know how badly hurt he is. Like with his toe. He never cried or told me he got hurt, he was just limping around. I let it go for 2 days before I decided he was probably pretty hurt.

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DEJavu17
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My youngest boy was like that. Minus the sensory disorder. Some kids are just accident prone.

Quoting Shelbypb:

Aw poor baby but just think when he gets older he would be a great football player lol always have to find the bright side of things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM
I can only imagine i'd be shaking like a leaf! It must have been hard trying to not freak out!

Quoting ladyraven16:

Yea he was bleeding like crazy the last time. It was also much darker blood than the normal bright red so I knew whatever it was, it was bad! I was shaking the whole drive to the hospital.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ladyraven16:

RLT2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

A regular toddler is like trying to watch a stuntman, I can't imagine how much worse it is when they have a disorder that makes them seek out thrills even more. Just try and drink lots of coffee (with booze in it) lol

Shelbypb
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Lol yea mine is like that he always has at least one bruise somewhere

Quoting DEJavu17:

CafeMom Tickers
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM
It was lol. But I was second guessing myself by the time we got to the hospital because the bleeding had slowed down and he wasn't crying at all. He was actually laughing with his brother in the back seat and wanting to play.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can only imagine i'd be shaking like a leaf! It must have been hard trying to not freak out!

Quoting ladyraven16:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ladyraven16:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN