Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Confession: TMI warning update

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm over 30 years old and I have never been able to use tampons properly. Everytime I try when I sit down or bend over it feels like my body is pushing it put. I'm assuming I'm not doing it right but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm too embarrassed and uncomfortable to ask my gyno or friends.

That's my highly embarrassing confesssion.

So I tried again. Leg on toilet and pushed rather in than usual. I'm not going to say I don't feel it at all but it's absolutely more comfortable than before! Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
Lena-Loo
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

They are not good for you anyway. lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I dont think your alone ....Im 34 and JUST started using them. I mainly only use them at night. My problem is AF has been so heavy and painful, I dont want to be figuring out the tampon thing too.

Its a trial and error, takes time to figure out what size/brand are comfortable and the positioning...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

youtube

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Okay, a brief lesson in wearing tampons.

First off, the best ones are the OB tampons with no applicators.  Yes, you need to use your finger to insert it, but if you can't touch your own body no one else should be touching it, IMHO.  After you've showered and everything is all clean, take the tampon and hold it in one hand (by the cotton part).  Grab the string with the other hand, and flare out the cotton.  Lay down on your bed, knees bent.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Insert the tampon with string side out, with the rounded part aiming towards your back.  Use your middle finger to push the tampon in your vagina, just past what feels like a little bump.  When you stand up, if you can feel the tampon pushing you do not have it inserted correctly.  You should not feel it at all when you've got it in correctly.  

Some tips:  avoid using tampons for the first two days of your period or they will cause more cramps if you're prone to them.  Do not leave your tampon in more than 8 hours or you're putting yourself at risk for TSS.  Yes, you can sleep in a tampon, just don't forget to change it as soon as you get up.  Use the minimum absorbancy rating you can get away with.  

ETA:  The reason I say OB are the best is because they were designed by a woman gynocologist.  They are shorter than tampax or the kotex ones, but equally widen inside the vagina as they absorb the flow.  most of the others are a rectangular piece of cotton blend material, with a string in the center.  The OB's are also all cotton fiber.  The vagina is not a straight tube.  It has ridges, bends and curves.  The OBs are designed to shape themselves to the vagina as they absorb, unlike the straight ones.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I have trouble using them as well

momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

yep

Quoting Anonymous:

this

Quoting AllieReed:

It sounds like you're not putting it in far enough or @ the right angle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I've been tribg off and on since I started when I was a teen but I was not very heavy so I wasn't overly concerned with it but after my 4th baby I had my tubes tied and now it's so heavy I can't see to keep under control with pads so I've been trying with tampons again and it's soooo frustrating.

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont think your alone ....Im 34 and JUST started using them. I mainly only use them at night. My problem is AF has been so heavy and painful, I dont want to be figuring out the tampon thing too.

Its a trial and error, takes time to figure out what size/brand are comfortable and the positioning...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
I was 12 y/o & stayed with my mom for a few days at the beach (i lived with my gma) well I started my period & my mom tried to show me how to use a tampon so I could go swimmin well it kept tryin to come out, lol so she pushed it in more.... Lol embarassing yes I kno but she did it any way after that I just made sure I put it far enough up there lol

GL!!!
SharonHernandez
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Maybe if you lift a leg a little like one posted put your leg on the tub and then insert it, and make sure you put it in deep enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Thank you for all the tips! Hopefully I can't get this figured out before menopause...lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN