Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Confession: TMI warning update

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I'm over 30 years old and I have never been able to use tampons properly. Everytime I try when I sit down or bend over it feels like my body is pushing it put. I'm assuming I'm not doing it right but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm too embarrassed and uncomfortable to ask my gyno or friends.

That's my highly embarrassing confesssion.

So I tried again. Leg on toilet and pushed rather in than usual. I'm not going to say I don't feel it at all but it's absolutely more comfortable than before! Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

When I was younger, I kept trying to insert them laying on my back.  I couldn't.  I spent many days at high school sitting out of swim class b/c I couldn't figure out how to use a tampon.  When I started trying being on the toilet, it worked.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Okay, a brief lesson in wearing tampons.

First off, the best ones are the OB tampons with no applicators.  Yes, you need to use your finger to insert it, but if you can't touch your own body no one else should be touching it, IMHO.  After you've showered and everything is all clean, take the tampon and hold it in one hand (by the cotton part).  Grab the string with the other hand, and flare out the cotton.  Lay down on your bed, knees bent.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Insert the tampon with string side out, with the rounded part aiming towards your back.  Use your middle finger to push the tampon in your vagina, just past what feels like a little bump.  When you stand up, if you can feel the tampon pushing you do not have it inserted correctly.  You should not feel it at all when you've got it in correctly.  

Some tips:  avoid using tampons for the first two days of your period or they will cause more cramps if you're prone to them.  Do not leave your tampon in more than 8 hours or you're putting yourself at risk for TSS.  Yes, you can sleep in a tampon, just don't forget to change it as soon as you get up.  Use the minimum absorbancy rating you can get away with.  

ETA:  The reason I say OB are the best is because they were designed by a woman gynocologist.  They are shorter than tampax or the kotex ones, but equally widen inside the vagina as they absorb the flow.  most of the others are a rectangular piece of cotton blend material, with a string in the center.  The OB's are also all cotton fiber.  The vagina is not a straight tube.  It has ridges, bends and curves.  The OBs are designed to shape themselves to the vagina as they absorb, unlike the straight ones.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I am so small instde and have such a short muscular vagina that my body pushes them out naturally.

*Blank stare*

You officially need an anatomy lesson. 

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

practice, practice, practice

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

go on youtube and look up how to put one in... i know it sounds gross but youll learn 

AnjalisMommy07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
My vagina is too short for tampons. In order for them to not stick out I have to cut them in half before insertion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I have a tilted uterus and have difficulty keeping them inserted.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
When I was like 10 , yes I had my cycle that young, I thought you left the entire applicator in. So I was shaking scared as I inserted it. Then I stood up, pulled my pants up and walked off. It was awful. I was like omg women deal with this plastic tubey thingy all day? Bwahaha

I had a single dad raising three girls, I finally broke down and asked him. I was doing it wrong!

Face palm.

I think you should get plastic Kotex brand they are awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
There should be an instruction leaflet in the box. Some of them even have a drawing to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlywifey
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Squat like you are going to sit in a chair and insert it going towards your back until you can't feel it anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM
I have to use my finger to push it up in there its really hard for me to insert it too but thats the easiest way for me. i really like kotex too cause their tampons are long and weird like tampax
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)