Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

boys and potty training

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 84 Replies
I babysit my cousins kids (6 and 2 1/2). I also have a son who's almost 17 months.
Well my cousin isn't potty trained and since I am with him a majority of the time its uo to me to potty train.
Well I figured that I could try to also potty train my son. Only issue is when I put him on the little potty he freaks out. I'm a first time mon and not really sure where to start or am I crazy trying to potty train 2 boysvat the same time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Misheldonann
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Ur ds probably isn't ready if he's scared of the potty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kadensmommy2011
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Really? That sucks I was hoping to potty train him at the same time

Quoting Misheldonann:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epaolini
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

no fun..potty training sucks! glad we are over that hurdle...anyway is there a male in the house? does he stand or sit.. i would try to have the boys watch him. if not then i would try letting them stand if he is scared to sit ad pee.... or try cheeriois in the toilet to make it game who hit the target (i know its silly) or one of the tub non slip apllicant thingys..... 2 at the same time isnt that hard beacuse theyt will be in competion and learn from eachother. try a reward sytem like stickers or stamps or skittles or something they can get when they go

MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
4 moms liked this

If it's not weird to you, just let your son watch the process of your cousin potty training. He might warm up to it.

17 months is still pretty young for a boy. Some kids do it then, but most don't. Mine is just getting the hang of it at three.

cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

i dont have boys but i did help potty train my exes son. i think it is a good thing to do them together. the way i started my girls was just getting them their own little potty(sometimes kids are afraid of the big potty) and i just put them on it while i fixed thier bath, if they went we did the pee dance if not they still got praised for trying. and then when they realized what you are supposed to do there, i worked on day time. i took them about every 15 to 20 mins to just try, i even went with them. and dont be afraid to teach them to sit 1st, it is much easier.

rocrobin90
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

My oldest son was scared at 1st but he is finally starting to get the idea. He is now 2.5 years old but he is still not potty trained fully yet.

cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

he might just be scared of the big potty(my oldest dd was for awhile). do you have a little seat for him to put on the big potty? if not and you want to use the big potty i would take them both to the store and have them help you pick out their own potty, and since you want to do them together maybe get both the potty seat that sits on the toilet and a little potty that sits on the floor so they can both go at the same time. 

Quoting kadensmommy2011:

Really? That sucks I was hoping to potty train him at the same time

Quoting Misheldonann:

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
If he's not ready, he's not ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Potty training boys suck majorly. None of my three boys were fully potty trained before three yrs old. My youngest is two and he won't pee on himself, but he has no problem with pooping on himself...that was actually the case for all three of them. It just takes a lot of time and patience.
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
He might be too young. Id start with the older one if ur son gets interested then let him try. I pt my 3 yr old in jan. A few mos later my 2 yo came to me telling me she had to potty. That continued for a few mos on and off. In june she started taking off her diaper telling me she had to go. We put panties on her she was pt within a week. She was ready. It was easy. She was 2 yrs 3 mos when she pt. My oldest was not ready that early. I think 17 mos is very young unless he shows interest. The crying is a sign he's not quite ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)