Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I babysit my cousins kids (6 and 2 1/2). I also have a son who's almost 17 months.
Well my cousin isn't potty trained and since I am with him a majority of the time its uo to me to potty train.
Well I figured that I could try to also potty train my son. Only issue is when I put him on the little potty he freaks out. I'm a first time mon and not really sure where to start or am I crazy trying to potty train 2 boysvat the same time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (81-84):
Blue_Spiral
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM

My son was about your son's age when he showed interest in the potty, but if yours isn't interested then seriously don't force him.

My son always saw me using the toilet and wanted to copy me. He actually asked to sit on the toilet so I'd hold him on there. He never peed but he loved it. 

Then I bought him his own potty and now he likes to sit on it and he loves to wipe like mommy LOL, but he has only peed in it once. 

Let him watch others and make sure you make it seem like a fun, cool, desirable thing and then go from there based on his cues.

Trying to get him to do it before he shows an interest will make it a negative, scary thing in his mind.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM

No, work on the cousin first.  When he's fully potty trained, your son will be older and probably want to copy him so it'll be easier with him.  Otherwise, you'll have pee & poop all over...from 2 kids.  Don't do that to yourself lol.

MisfitInTN
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I had my boy fully trained at 20 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamondsetter
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM
It'll be more frustrating to you to try if he's not ready because it just won't work. He doesn't sound quite ready yet. He'll get there though and keep familiarizing him with the little potty so he gets more used to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured