Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I babysit my cousins kids (6 and 2 1/2). I also have a son who's almost 17 months.
Well my cousin isn't potty trained and since I am with him a majority of the time its uo to me to potty train.
Well I figured that I could try to also potty train my son. Only issue is when I put him on the little potty he freaks out. I'm a first time mon and not really sure where to start or am I crazy trying to potty train 2 boysvat the same time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (51-60):
isabellah
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

potty trained both boys at 3 when they were ready.  was pretty much a piece of cake

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

yeah, he does not sound ready - when he is ready you will know.  some signs to look for

1 - he tells you when he is wet or soiled

2 - he wakes up dry for a few days in a row

3 - he is able to pull his pants and pullup / diaper down

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

my grandson didn't like the potty chair. it took us a bit  to figure that out-lol. however somewhere between a little of over 2 to age 4 most catch on. just keep taking them in there every so often.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Neither of my boys potty trained before 2.5 I introduced the potty told them what it was for and let them approach me about it while gently reminding them about "Big Boys using the potty and not yucky stinky diapers" My older son once I took him out of diapers and told him he was a big boy now at exactly 2.5 he went poop and pee in the tiolet and didn't even wet the bed at night. I'm getting my younger son ready right now and he is obviously ready, tomorrow is the big day for him (we call it a potty party) he's going to go pee in the potty and I'm going to make  gigantically HUGE deal out of how excited I am and (pretend) call everyone I know just to tell them how excited I am that he is a big boy and then I'm going to give him a cupcake and a package of wrapped up underwear that looks like a present and hopefully if everything goes like it did with his big brother we should be all set (although I don't think he will be night trained because he still wets his night time diaper).

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I think 17 mo is awfully young to try to train a boy.  Most boys aren't ready until at least 2 years old.  Let your son watch the other boys use the potty and he might gain an interest if he sees that it's not so scary.  Otherwise you're just going to have to wait.  If you push it on him now when he's not ready you'll just make it extra hard for yourself in the long run.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM
at 17 months he mayjsut not be ready. boys average age for potty trainedat 3 1/2. So I wouldn't push it to much maybe jsut work on te 2 1/2 yrol nd let your son watch and maybe then he'll want to join!! ! Good Luck
mommynac
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

They seem young to me. They usually get it around three. And once they do that's it. At least that's what my Pediatrician told me, and he was right! I didn't spend too much time before then on charts or anything.

luv2dancesalsa
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, unfortunately your little guys isn't ready yet.  Boys take the longest to potty train.  Both of my boys were 3 by the time they were pott trained.

Aloysious
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM

He might be scared of the potty-my first was.  You have to wait till they're ready.  Lots less frustating. But start with the older one-little kids love to imitate.  once he sees his buddy doing it, he'll want to try it out too.  You know, it's totally monkey see, monkey do.   

Heather.Rose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

My son used to freak ou tlike that to. He still doesnt go in the potty but he doesnt panic anymore. It just takes time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)