Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I babysit my cousins kids (6 and 2 1/2). I also have a son who's almost 17 months.
Well my cousin isn't potty trained and since I am with him a majority of the time its uo to me to potty train.
Well I figured that I could try to also potty train my son. Only issue is when I put him on the little potty he freaks out. I'm a first time mon and not really sure where to start or am I crazy trying to potty train 2 boysvat the same time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (61-70):
Moonmyst
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:41 PM

If your son is not staying dry for 2-3 hour intervals and not showing an interest in the potty (other than wanting to play in it and flush it), then he is probably not ready yet.  My son is 19 months and he went in the bathroom the other day pulling his pants and diaper off.  We thought he wanted to try to potty like he sees the older toddlers at daycare.  We sat him on the potty, but he was frightened, so I put his diaper and pants back on he went off on his merry way.  It'll happen, it'll just take time and patience.

kadensmommy2011
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Thank you! I actually wasn't sure about how to know when he's ready

Quoting sfkdny:

yeah, he does not sound ready - when he is ready you will know.  some signs to look for

1 - he tells you when he is wet or soiled

2 - he wakes up dry for a few days in a row

3 - he is able to pull his pants and pullup / diaper down

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM

little boys will not potty train until they are good and ready! that is my first warning. no amount of encouragement or motivation on your part will make much difference if they are not ready. it is literally like a light switch, one week they wil freak out, the next they are good to go. 

yes, i think 17months is too young to try and potty train a little boy. 

also, decide if you will do a potty chair/potty seat/standing/or sitting on the back of the seat. get him very excited to pick out new underwear and make a big deal out of what a big boy he is to pee on the potty. 

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:34 PM
whatever you end up doing, don't force it for either child. that just makes them not like it and it will take longer. the key is to show them how, make sure they can get their pants down or you do it for them, and give them access to the potty.
andersongirl562
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Imo he is far too young
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM

no problem, my son trained within 5 days at a few months shy of 3 - when they are ready, it is a breeze.  if you try to push it now, you will probably spend a year or so training him and cleaning clothes/underware all the time.  also, I would recommend (once he is ready) to not use pull ups.  start with putting him on the potty every 15-20 minutes.  once he gets the concept, put him in underware.  if you are home with him, you can even let him run around naked until he gets the hang of pulling down his pants/underware. 

I am SO glad to be diaper free :)

Quoting kadensmommy2011:

Thank you! I actually wasn't sure about how to know when he's ready

Quoting sfkdny:

yeah, he does not sound ready - when he is ready you will know.  some signs to look for

1 - he tells you when he is wet or soiled

2 - he wakes up dry for a few days in a row

3 - he is able to pull his pants and pullup / diaper down

BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

My boys are 13 months apart, so they nearly trained at the same time.

Just be consistant about taking him to potty every 20-30 minutes. I encouraged my youngest son to finally pee and poop in the potty by throwing cheerios in there and telling him to pee/poop on them. lol.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Honestly (from a mom of 5 kids & 3 being boys & also a daycare worker who has worked with toddlers) I think your DS is not ready for it. I would say once he starts to tell you he has peed (or pooped) & acts as if a wet or dirty diaper is bothering him then he is ready. Otherwise you might deter him from really wanting to train when he is ready. I worked witha boy who was 4 when he finally got it. He was actually in the 3's classroom but because he wasn't potty trained nor mentally ready for the 4's room it was decided he needed to be in the 3's room (plus his parents requested that he not be moved up yet because of these issues).

His parents would bring him in with a pull up on with underwear UNDER the pull up because they didn't want him to have an accident. The other teacher & I would take the pull up off after he arrived & deal with it. While we were outside one day he fell into some mud & freaked out about being dirty. When we figured out what clicked with him we went with it & ran! By the end of the week he was telling us he had to go potty!

Good luck with your son! I'm sure eventually he will get it! But don't push it!

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Your son is much too young and not ready.  Typical age to start is 2 1/2.

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I think it makes sense to do it together, but 17 months is def a lil young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)