Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I babysit my cousins kids (6 and 2 1/2). I also have a son who's almost 17 months.
Well my cousin isn't potty trained and since I am with him a majority of the time its uo to me to potty train.
Well I figured that I could try to also potty train my son. Only issue is when I put him on the little potty he freaks out. I'm a first time mon and not really sure where to start or am I crazy trying to potty train 2 boysvat the same time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Replies (71-80):
Scribbleprints
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I would just focus on the older boy...sometimes the younger will get interested in his own  (especially if you're making a lot of fuss about the older boy and what he's doing). 

Also, another thing that helps is if you get a stuffed toy and (makeing sure the potty is clean) have him sit on the potty and "talk" to your son about how going potty is so fun and such.  That's how I got my youngest to wear undewear (he didn't want to...wanted to stay in diapers...so I put underware on his stuffed dog and made a fun doggy voice and had him ask "You like my underwear?  Do you want to wear underwear too?"  and that did it.).  This was later in his potty training, but it might work with your son.    Since he was scared at first though I'd wait a few days, work mainly with the older boy in the meantime, and then try again with the littler if he starts to seem interested.

Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

This. And trying to force him will only make it worse.

Quoting Misheldonann:

Ur ds probably isn't ready if he's scared of the potty.

livelaughlov26
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Potty training boys suck majorly. None of my three boys were fully potty trained before three yrs old. My youngest is two and he won't pee on himself, but he has no problem with pooping on himself...that was actually the case for all three of them. It just takes a lot of time and patience.

Oh my god I am going to plastic wrap all my furniture! I have a 14 month old son and I have no idea how to potty train so now hearing this...yikes!!!
amanda357
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
He's probably too young. Most boys don't get it til 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Just be calm and don't push hard. They might like a ring to put on the big potty or their own little one on the floor. The ones that play music when in senses weight is a cool idea but when the kid discovers he can step into the potty to make the music, well heck! 

My grandson wouldn't sit on any potty. We put him on the big one backwards so he could hang on...... a year later, he disrobes from the waist down and climbs up there backwards. At least he doesn't pee himself!!!! lol

babygirl7161
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Just let him slowly get used to it. Never force him to stay if he freaks out. Letbhim watch the older boys and you his dad and he'll.get the idea. Instarted my daughter about that age she's 23 months and she's in underwear during the day for almost 4 weeks now.
Follow his cues. He may start asking to go but not be able to make the muscles actually work to let him pee. Once my daughter figured that out consistantly for a day or 2 then ditches the pull ups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Gleich
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM
I put front loops in the toilet and told my son to aim at them...

He loved it. :)
Mama_Gleich
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM
FROOT not front. :)
Hatred4none
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:36 AM
My son did that when I started him on the potty. I think it was bc he had gas or he just didn't have/want to go! Try taking him either as soon as he wakes up or right after he eats. That usually helped and try to relax him, I'd pull out his bath toys. Yes, once my son started throwing a fit I couldn't get him to concentrate. Make sure any toy you give isn't small enough to throw in the potty. ;)
lilbit04
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:40 AM
Mine was the same way...so I made it fun for him. I got one of the cheap Lil potties got some stickers (his favorite character) and let him put the stickers every where on it. Then when he would sit down I'd encourage him and make a game of it :-) he will be 3 next Monday and he will have maybe one accident a day, mainly it's poop but hey he is getting there :-) good luck mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN