Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
epaolini
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

i started 2 and ahlaf yers ago..my kids at 6.5 and5..... they were cleaning their own toys, putting clothed in drawers throiwing trash away ext.. small things..not its gotten a longer list..they help with breakfast(, they eat hot lunch at school) and they help with dinner. the put launder in the washer and start it, take it to the dryer and get the clothes from the washer and fold it and put it away.. clean their own rooms, make their bed shower themselves... its never to early just has to be within reason of thier age and abilities

AmberRose1122
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Depends on what you are referring to. My son started being self-sufficient at 3, and is amazingly responsible at 8 almost 9.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3boys1girl32
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM
14 moms liked this
I'm still trying to teach my 38 yr old to be self sufficient.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM
11 moms liked this

The average Republican:  from birth.

The average Democrate:  never.

averages, of course.  there are exceptions

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I start when they are very young as a previous poster stated. Cleaning up, bringing dirty plates to the sink, getting dressed etc. My 8 year old gets up eats cold breakfast(if he's up way before us)gets dressed,finishes his homework and is ready for school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I htink it depends on what you are talking about...

I have gradually worked with my DD (5) on being independent and how to do things for herself for awhile now....  After her bath, she goes to her room, picks out her underwear and pajamas, dresses herself, brushes her hair and teeth.  She gets her own snacks (if easily accessible)...but she does ask first.  After dinner, she asks if she can be excused and takes her dishes to the sink.  She loves having responsibilities and make a grand gesture after she completes them.... 

matofour
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
From birth?

We aren't coddlers at my house, my kids have always had age appropriate responsibilities.

And they started young, maybe not from birth but they started picking up their toys as soon as they could, small things like that and it has built up as they get older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I started with teaching my kids independence as early as I could.  Starting with feeding themselves finger foods, putting toys aways, etc.  My youngest is now 5; he can shower on his own, get dressed, make his bed, pick up after himself, make a sandwich, get something to drink, find a snack, do some chores, read, do most of his homework independently, etc.

My oldest is 12, she could probably run this household if the need ever arised.

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a gradual process.  7 is a great age to have them be totally independant in the bathroom, to be able to dress themselves, clean up their messes, & make a snack. 

MumaSue
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on what you want them to be self sufficient at ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)