Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
JBiiirdD
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My 4 year old SS dresses himself, baths himself (I, of course, double check), washes his dishes (has his own Spiderman set), makes his bed, picks up his toys, dust his dresser, washes his walls (of which he learned to do the hard way when he got caught coloring on them), loads the dryer... I started him young as did my nana with me. So 7 is definitely not too young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

What kind of things are we talking about?

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay!!!  Sounds age appropriate to me.  Little by little we tack more things on when their interest in piqued by something they see us doing.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

What do you mean? My DD is 7, she takes showers alone, gets herself dressed, cleans her room (sort of) lol 

Thats about it.

cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3earthangels:

What do you mean by self sufficient? Can get themself dressed, shower alone, make their own food, do work on their own, go to bed and wake up on their own....

Depends on what your definition of self sufficient is.

Hannah-Belle
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids started the process at 4. One is 4 now and the other is 5. They are in charge of their own messes and just recently we let them do their own showers while we kid of sit back and guide (that is a tedious learning process for some reason, maybe it's the bubbles). They've dressed themselves since 3. I don't let them do anything in the kitchen yet unless they are helping me but that's because the kitchen is *my* special room in the house. But they do clean up after their own meals. And actually this week we started having the kids clean their own bathroom (in the kid friendly sense). A big help though, for us, is that our kids are attending a Montessori school this year and they teach kids to be very self sufficient. We've learned a lot actually, about what the kids were capable of that we never dreamed of letting them do by themselves before. Like making tea. For some reason that kind of blows my mind still.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
garnet83
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

ASAP as long as it's age appropriate.

bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You start teaching them from birth...You teach age appropriate lessons everyday.

jujubear1
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

We're pushing my almost 8 y/o to be more self sufficient.  In some ways, she is, but I still make her lunch and help pick out clothes and things.  We've started making her pour her own drinks and cereal unless the milk jug is too full or something, then I'll help. Other things, like cleaning her own room & messes, putting away laundry and brushing her teeth and bathing herself, she already does.

RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
At seven I can pretty well leave my kid to his own devices. He can cook, take care of his own needs, do laundry, do all housework other than vacuum, and other stuff. I suspect he could even get to the store and buy groceries alone but if course I've never tested that theory.

He doesn't do all that stuff all the time of course but he knows how to do it all. If he doesn't have school he can help me with the chores so we get done quickly and then we go have fun or if he wants to cook dinner it's good to know that he's quite capable of doing so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shermy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

What does a self sufficient 7 year old look like to you?

I don't think kids are too young to be self sufficient in age appropriate ways - so for example. My 2 year old can get himself a glass of water, grab a snack (we have fresh fruit that he can have anytime he wants on the table), and use/flush the toilet by himself. So to me, this is what a self sufficient 2 year old looks like, and I expect errors, like sometimes there is water on the floor because the water drips (we have those awful counter top things of water where you pull out the tab to use the water) or sometimes there is pee on his step stool (it happens). He just helps clean up. No biggie. 

I really just think it has to do with keeping expectations realistic and appropriate for your kid. For example, IN GENERAL, I wouldn't expect a 7 year old to do all of their own laundry perfectly on their own, if at all (for me it would depend on the child. I can think of 7 year olds who would do a great job, and many 7 year olds who would need to be supervised)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN