Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (211-220):
Athman97
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
It definitely depends on your definition of self sufficient. My 8 year old (oldest) can get himself ready for school for showering to breakfast to packing lunch if need be. It's part of raising kids. We have to ensure by the time they leave the nest that they can take care of themselves. It's a huge part of parenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM
2 moms liked this
i was beig a smartass.

Quoting vinalex0581:

how can you teach them at a week old?

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Mine was starting at a week old lol. My kids are 5&7 they fix their own breakfast and take showers on their own

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

ok.

i thought you were serious because there are other moms who responded by saying that you can teach your child to be self sufficient from birth and you do that by self soothing, i guess. i don't do it though.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

i was beig a smartass.

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Mine was starting at a week old lol. My kids are 5&7 they fix their own breakfast and take showers on their own

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh no that's what I put lol there. My kids were babied as long as possible.

Quoting vinalex0581:

ok.

i thought you were serious because there are other moms who responded by saying that you can teach your child to be self sufficient from birth and you do that by self soothing, i guess. i don't do it though.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

i was beig a smartass.

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CadincesMom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6 year old is fairly self sufficient...I still help her with some things but she will do a lot of stuff for herself

vinalex0581
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM

ok, sorry.

lol!

i was reading it so fast that i didn't even pay attention to the "lol" part.

sleep deprived. been up since 4 this morning and it's now almost midnight here.

=D

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Oh no that's what I put lol there. My kids were babied as long as possible.

Quoting vinalex0581:

ok.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

i was beig a smartass.

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Dd can get her own cold breakfast if the milk isn't to heavy lol she's 3 she cleans her room and unloads the dishwasher
lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends on what your definition of self sufficient, and how old the child is.

My kids have been helping around the house since they could walk (things like picking up their toys when they were 1 or so) then when things like folding hand towels and wash cloths and matching socks when they were 3-4. Now my oldest is 14 yrs old, he can cook meals, do laundry, clean, do yard work, etc. My younger son 12 yrs can do all those things as well (although he is not as comfortable doing the laundry and cooking as his older brother). That's not to say my kids do all those things, but its nice to know if I'm sick that they can pitch in. It does make the house run more smoothly.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Sweet_Carol_126
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM

It depends on what you mean by self sufficiency.  A child should be taught to tie shoes before kindergarten.  Should be taught to get dressed and put coat on and button up before kindergarten andto get boots on, but may not be able to take them off.  Could get some things out of the refrigerator to eat but only when you prepare them and have it low enough for them.  Not old enough to stay by themselves at home until Jr. high and provided that they are fairly intelligent an self-sufficient.  Kids should be taught to do chores like folding clothes or washing dishes or using dishwasher and sweeping floors and making bed as soon as possible.  Picking up own toys. 

Should not stay overnight by themselves until middle of high school and then should have a number of someone to call if there is a problem.  Kids do ned to be taught to cook and that can start by 7 perhaps but only with help when it comes to actually cooking.  There are children's cookbooks that are good and thy can fix some things and need help with mom to putting them in the oven.  By teenage years can do more.  So it is a process of more and more as they age and as you teach them.  By time they get to be 17 or 18, they should be able to do about everything at home so they are ready to be on their own. 

My kids were able to make strawberry jam when they were about 12 & 15 or 13 & 16. I supervised the first time and they did on their own the 2nd time, including driving to the strawberry fields.  My son, who is inhis early 40's just made some strawberry jam again at home and his kids helped.  My daughter has made apricot jam and other jams as well.  She makes bread on a regular basis.  I sent her to a class at a local farm that was a county park and she learned to make bread there.  My son found recipes for tortillas on lie after he was in Mexico and often makes tortillas for the kids and they have tacos and taco salad.

I should have worked with them even more in cooking but I worked.  My son often tried to get out of folding towels which were his job.  Other kids didn't have chores but they did.  it is better to keep kids occupied. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quoting vinalex0581:

is 7 years old too young?

It depends on what you mean.

I think by age 9 kids should be able to bathe themselves, feed themselves (i.e make sandwiches, get a snack), get dressed, brush their teeth and tie their shoes all on their own. By age 10 they should have some kind of "job" such as raking leaves, pulling weeds, taking the trash out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN