Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (221-230):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Quoting vinalex0581:

It depends on what you mean.

I think by age 9 kids should be able to bathe themselves, feed themselves (i.e make sandwiches, get a snack), get dressed, brush their teeth and tie their shoes all on their own. By age 10 they should have some kind of "job" such as raking leaves, pulling weeds, taking the trash out.

NyiaBaby216
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I guess it all depends on what you call self sufficient.

NyiaBaby216
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I agree. :) I do feel like a 7 yr old could do most of that stuff though. But I've never parented a 7 yr old though. SO's cousin is 11 and has been babied so much that she can't make herself ANYTHING to eat. She does a horrible job at brushing her teeth and she can't tie her shoes. She still has to be supervised during bath time to make sure she does what she needs to do and they give her no chores since she plays baby all the time and can't do anything. And it's not like shes not capable, she's more than capable, she just acts like a 5 yr old and her mom gives in. Sometimes she'll even resort to crying like a toddler when she's hungry and no one will make her anything. It's insane.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting vinalex0581:

It depends on what you mean.

I think by age 9 kids should be able to bathe themselves, feed themselves (i.e make sandwiches, get a snack), get dressed, brush their teeth and tie their shoes all on their own. By age 10 they should have some kind of "job" such as raking leaves, pulling weeds, taking the trash out.

JoyfulJ
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this
It is different for every child, and every day. As he needs more help he will get it, as he needs more freedom...within safe boundaries...again he will get it. I won't hold back, but I won't push harder then they can emotionally can handle, or are mature enough to handle. Some kids mature faster then others.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

You are the first mom that I have ever heard say that your child get's up on their own.  Both my kids started getting themselves up and ready for school since Kindergarden.  They get themselves ready 100% then come in my bedroom and tell me they are ready to go to the bus stop.  I am awake, I hear everything that is going on, but they are responsible for getting themselves ready for school.  I still ask them if they brushed thir teeth lol  They have never forgot but I still feel the need to ask.

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

Depends on what u want him to be sufficiant at.

At 7, my ss can make his own cold breakfast or lunch, he can shower on his own, he can pick his own clothes out (although i always have to tell him if there is snow outside or its cold out he needs pants), he gets up on his own, he has a bedtime, he picks up after himself.....

IQuitCounting
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Depends on your definition of self-sufficient.... there's simply not enough info to answer that question in context.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM
It's fine been there done that.

Quoting vinalex0581:

ok, sorry.

lol!

i was reading it so fast that i didn't even pay attention to the "lol" part.

sleep deprived. been up since 4 this morning and it's now almost midnight here.

=D

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Oh no that's what I put lol there. My kids were babied as long as possible.

Quoting vinalex0581:

ok.

i thought you were serious because there are other moms who responded by saying that you can teach your child to be self sufficient from birth and you do that by self soothing, i guess. i don't do it though.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

i was beig a smartass.

Quoting vinalex0581:

how can you teach them at a week old?

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Mine was starting at a week old lol. My kids are 5&7 they fix their own breakfast and take showers on their own

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Too old to *start* teaching. imo they need to be taught age appropriate ways to be self sufficient as soon as possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sashamom03
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:08 AM
I still help my nine year old daughter wash her hair and help her pick out clothes. I still wake her in the morning for school.
Lisa
bbier
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on the child too. My son has high functioning autism, and my step some has add, there is no way I could have left them in a bathroom at 7 and said, get yourself ready like Get dressed, brush teeth, wash hands, hair etc. For some children 7 is a reasonable age for certain tasks and others are not. Being self sufficient comes with maturity, so it depends on your idea of self suffient. We teach our children to be ready by the time they are adults, starting early with reasonable tasks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)