Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (231-240):
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should start teaching them as soon as possible. It is a constant process. You just don't expect them to put it all into practice on their own until they get a little older. 

My four year old can get himself ready with minimal help, but he still needs me to open things and such. And I do not expect him to do it by himself at this age, but I am teaching him.

LaineysMomma
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't say my dd is self sufficient..she's 7 and a little immature for age mostly because she has ADHD...she can shower herself but I usually supervise because she uses Way too much shampoo like a bottle a week lol she makes her bed, keeps her rm clean, dries dishes, helps me all the time, she vaccuums, takes out the trash, collects and sorts laundry and she Can make her own PB sandwich but she makes a mess so I don't really let her do too much in there...we have a bedtime routine so I put her to bed but once she's there she doesn't get up..I don't have to worry about that stuff..in the mornings she'll watch cartoons and eat a pop tart if its the weekend..so I'd say she's Somewhat sufficient...she probably could sustain alone for a day lol
NEPhillyRN
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to teach them all to be self sufficient.  My 6 yo boy is pretty good, but not as much as his 7 yo step sister.  She's fairly independent. My 9 yo boy is very self suffcient, in fact I've often said that I'd let him babysit before I let the older ones (theoreticlaly, not literally).  Then there's my 11 yo neice that we have custody of... not self suffcient at all! granted, we didnt get custody of her until she was 7 so we didnt get to teach a lot of things. Her older brothers 15 & 18 are pretty much the same way. Unless you leave them specific directions, written out... def not just tell them more than one step... nothing ever gets done. They can't seem to do the basic things like remembering to shower every day, do their homework, even getting them to write down their assignments from school is a challenge. 

Nature vs nurture? possibly... personality of the child, definitatly!  so to make a long post longer... some 7 year olds are ready for independence (within reason), some are not

Luna091306
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
From birth and it continues into adulthood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BarbaraLS
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Why is there a need for a definitive age? I could be wrong, but I'm thinking its a process that starts when a child is quite young and we teach them how to use utensils, dress themelves and brush their own teeth, into the elementary ages when we teach them to cook simple meals and do chores, goes in through adolenscence when we help them suss out social situations and make hard choice and live with the consequnces, even into adulthood when we listen to their worries and help, hopefully, with babies and what not, and continues up until we switch roles, sometime when we parents are so old we need the help, instead. Its a process, and how fast the skills are acquired is really an individual thing.

Gailll
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Some states have laws about how old children have to be to stay home alone. A common age is 12. It amazes me that the same state can expect kids in K to walk 2 miles to school.

Leeleeayati
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My 2yrs on picks after himself,takes a bath,(without soAp ofcuz)play with d little sister when am busy n ran little errans like call pple n bring tins frm room to room, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommatoobe
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old is self sufficient for the most part. Meaning she doesn't need constant supervision like her 2 year old sister, she goes potty, makes her bed, picks up her toys, sets the table and washes it... She always loves making pb&j

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Its an ongoing process that will not end till they are adults (that is if you did your job as a parent right).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Since birth! No freeloaders around here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)