Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
ABeaverhausen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Birth.  If DS couldn't crawl his ass up to my boob, then he was SOL.

--- Unfit Parenting ---

Please, I'm a miserable troll, stop feeding me this delicious trollfood.

AnjalisMommy07
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Since birth. Self sufficiency is one of the greatest gifts a parent can give a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Not too young

MamaMay007
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
It matters in what way.

If you mean fold your own cloths and put them away, my 4 year old does that (sure it takes him 3 hours sometimes but hey he is helping!)

If you mean make bacon and eggs in the morning by himself... Um... Your son...
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My 2 and 3 yo clean their room. Put their cup and plate in the sink. Dress themselves well as much as they can. Its something u should teach little by little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pj2becca21
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

For the day my daughter started walking. she is 4 years old and she gets dressed on her own, cleans her room by herself, know how to make a bowl of cereal, a PB&J, and a ham and cheese sandwhich, she put her dishes in the sink and washes them. and this is with just watching me. 

HeatherGandJ
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Each little step towards independence is a step to self-sufficiency.

I have two children 9 and 6, both has special needs, and my goal is to have them full self-sufficient by their late teens early 20's, which means I have been working with them every day since they arrived in my family (they were adopted at ages 3 years and 2 1/2 months respectively).  

So for my 9 year old who has a few different challenges, we are working on him beign able to shower independently, tie his shoes independently, put his dishes in the dishwasher after meals, and to keep his room clean (he already has mastered dressing himself (except for shoe tying) and can get himself juice or snacks independently).  

With my six year old who is physically impaired, we are working of independent toileting (which requires a lot of creativity and some building projects--but he is getting closer to independent toileting), putting dirty clothes in the hamper, and learning how to take off a shirt and pants (which is quite a feat when 3 out of 4 limbs do not work fully).

My sisters kids on the other hand are 6 and 7, and her kids have been independently showering for a couple of years, cleaning up their dishes, helping to load the dishwasher, dressing themselves, getting thier own snacks (including being able to independently make PB & Jelly sandwiches), and many other independent tasks.  

She did not push it with them, she just gave them the opportunity to learn and do as they expressed an interest in it.  And her 6 year old is more self sufficient than her 7 year old.  So it really depends on the kids.

Just go with the flow, give your child opportunities to learn and be independent, and let them take the lead if you can.

alexxxxx
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Never too young to start teaching self-sufficiency. In safe, age-appropriate ways, of course. 

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

4yo knows how to get his own clothes, put them on (mostly), put his own shoes on, and clean the living room.

i'm working on setting up his own toothbrush.

layawatling
by Laya on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2yo does everything but make her own meals. But she will get her own food if shes hungry. She is fully potty trained and has been for awhile, she puts her clothes away, she dusts her shelves, she makes her bed etc etc...

I feel bad because it sounds like I slave my baby...but it's totally not the case, she LOVES to help me and has since she could walk. We buy her toy vacuums and kitchens, mops, brooms etc because that's what amuses her lol. Each their own I suppose.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN