Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by   + Show Post

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (41-50):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach my kids independance, and from that stems their self sufficience. but the oldest is 5 so I guess I have to wait a few more years to see how that works for me

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my 5 year old and 4 year old can both dress themselves, get themselves water from the sink, and pour themselves a bowl of cereal, milk included, although usually dont get the cereal themselves because they prefer making mommy do it...lol 

My 5 year old also can bathe himself.  

All 3 of my kids (5, 4, and 2) brush their own teeth (I do check to make sure they got all the food off their teeth) 

girlywifey
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I started teaching my daughter at age 7. I think that kids knowing how to do things on their own teaches them self confidence. She is 11 now and can do quite a bit on her own.

hollydaze1974
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That's when I started...small things...an alarm clock, pick out clothes the nite before, the nitely rituals...brush teeth (you check) shower, or whatever.... He can do it himself because he can read the list on the mirror. A child can start being self sufficient once he/she can read a list. You can go over the list with him after he has time to do it himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChikSlim
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Teach them once they exit the womb lol

Traci_Momof2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We need more detail than just "self sufficient".  That phrase on it's own is too vague.  You need to come back and explain what you mean.

In general, self sufficiency starts as soon as they can walk and gradually builds until they move out of the house.  It even continues to build beyond then but at that point you are no longer responsible, they are.

Marilu_
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
As soon as possible! I had to learn on my own :/ my mother would say 'i didn't get to do that at your age, so why should I let you' when I askef if I coulf hang out with a friend after school, go to the movies, sleep overs you get my point and I was in HS ! She even went as far as picking my clothes, till I was 14!! It wasn't at all to be conservative it was to show me whos boss.
Vertical15
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Every age.  My kids are learning how to do things by themselves everyday.  Thats my job as a parent.

manicMOM_DLC
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Teaching self sufficiency should be a lifelong lesson. Only u can decide what your child is ready to learn to do independently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Independence is never too young to teach.  What do you mean by self sufficient?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured