Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some attitudes really piss me off. *kinda long*

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 94 Replies
Alright so I'm an EMT here in Washington and I genuinely love my job. I love my patients and I love helping people. I'm actually at work today and need to vent a little.

Here, the fire department responds to all medicals calls before they call in the private ambulance (me) to take them to the hospital. In fact you can't be a medic unless you are in the fire department in the county I work in. I'm an EMT basic. Sometimes fire acts like they are the gods of EMS and it drives me nuts.

Day before yesterday, we go to a local college and fire is like, "this kid has hives. Already been seen at the ER, just needs to fill his prescriptions. We want you to take him back to the ER cause when we got here his blood pressure was low. Its now 130\80 but he needs to,go anyways."

The kids (18) looks at me and says "I don't want to go but they are making me"

I took his vitals, perfectly normal, fire left, and I cut him loose. A friend took him to the pharmacy to get his RX filled. Oh, staff at the college called 911 when they saw his hives. Security comes out and says "do you really think you can veto fired decision to send him in? They are the medical professionals" Ummm yes dumbass I can. So WTF am I? Chopped liver that happens to wear a EMT badge and ride around in an ambulance? firefighters didn't join the department to run medical calls, they only do it cause of politics! I have more patient care than the whole engine crew combined!!

Fast forward to this am. My first patient is a 60 year old lady with a long complex medical history with chest pain and low blood pressure. Medics are there when I get there. Her pulse is at 150, blood pressure at 92/doppler with intermittent chest pain since Monday. I'm the one who took her in.

I get why they had me transport her. She has had this pain for days, it does get worse with movement and exertion, and all that good jazz, but his attitude really got me. He says "yeah she has a long cardiac history. her heart is in a flutter and I really don't think her pulse rate is that high. But I'm not gonna do anything for her and neither is the hospital. Oh,and she's DNR so yeah, she's yours."

Hmmmm, how about some human compassion and not talking about someone to their face like they are a slab of meat? Not worthy of your services? DNR means do not resuscitate, not don't care for. Assholes. Shit like that really gets to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Hmmmm apparently I don't stir up enough drama in this group for anyone to read my stuff. Y'all suck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM
So I'm seeing a trend for today. My last patient is probably gonna die this afternoon :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Yea, that does suck. Gl
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Thanks :-) I finally got one that broke my trend. Little lady that started puking and passing out!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea, that does suck. Gl

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
As bad as this sounds...welcome to the world of ems. Medics think they are gods. They pass off the shit that should go als. I've found they either over or under care for the patients.
LovelyCorrupt
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM
My bil is a on the fire dept and he is a super asshat as well, thinking he hung the moon. I hate those ppl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crafteechic
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I hope your day gets better :)

cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Exactly! I've lived in this world for a while so I've seen a lot it just really bugged me this am.

I've come across some really cool medics and firefighters but honestly the douches outweigh the good guys and it sucks :-(

Quoting Anonymous:

As bad as this sounds...welcome to the world of ems. Medics think they are gods. They pass off the shit that should go als. I've found they either over or under care for the patients.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Lol I think its the whole "I'm in uniform so you should all now down and worship" mentality

Quoting LovelyCorrupt:

My bil is a on the fire dept and he is a super asshat as well, thinking he hung the moon. I hate those ppl

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN