Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some attitudes really piss me off. *kinda long*

Posted by   + Show Post
Alright so I'm an EMT here in Washington and I genuinely love my job. I love my patients and I love helping people. I'm actually at work today and need to vent a little.

Here, the fire department responds to all medicals calls before they call in the private ambulance (me) to take them to the hospital. In fact you can't be a medic unless you are in the fire department in the county I work in. I'm an EMT basic. Sometimes fire acts like they are the gods of EMS and it drives me nuts.

Day before yesterday, we go to a local college and fire is like, "this kid has hives. Already been seen at the ER, just needs to fill his prescriptions. We want you to take him back to the ER cause when we got here his blood pressure was low. Its now 130\80 but he needs to,go anyways."

The kids (18) looks at me and says "I don't want to go but they are making me"

I took his vitals, perfectly normal, fire left, and I cut him loose. A friend took him to the pharmacy to get his RX filled. Oh, staff at the college called 911 when they saw his hives. Security comes out and says "do you really think you can veto fired decision to send him in? They are the medical professionals" Ummm yes dumbass I can. So WTF am I? Chopped liver that happens to wear a EMT badge and ride around in an ambulance? firefighters didn't join the department to run medical calls, they only do it cause of politics! I have more patient care than the whole engine crew combined!!

Fast forward to this am. My first patient is a 60 year old lady with a long complex medical history with chest pain and low blood pressure. Medics are there when I get there. Her pulse is at 150, blood pressure at 92/doppler with intermittent chest pain since Monday. I'm the one who took her in.

I get why they had me transport her. She has had this pain for days, it does get worse with movement and exertion, and all that good jazz, but his attitude really got me. He says "yeah she has a long cardiac history. her heart is in a flutter and I really don't think her pulse rate is that high. But I'm not gonna do anything for her and neither is the hospital. Oh,and she's DNR so yeah, she's yours."

Hmmmm, how about some human compassion and not talking about someone to their face like they are a slab of meat? Not worthy of your services? DNR means do not resuscitate, not don't care for. Assholes. Shit like that really gets to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

wow..makes me wonder if the fire dept would like it if they were treated like they treat people.  Cocky little bastards.angry

cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Crazy cool!!

Quoting TarotMommy:

Yes, it was definitely replaced. I woke up with tubes sticking out of every orifice of my body including ones they made for me (neck and chest). It was pretty freaky to say the least. My ribs didn't heal as well this time around and my right side still bothers me but hey I'm alive!

My cardiologist made me feel like a freak show with every visit afterwards because the whole room would be filled with students. At first he would want me to tel them the story then he'd interrupt me and tell it himself because he was so excited. Lol! He recorded the surgery and wanted me to watch it with the students. I was like, that's OK you guys go ahead. I had no desire to see myself split wide open and my boobs sagging on each side of my open chest. Ugh!

Quoting cassi_d_m:

Did it get replaced again?

Man! That would have been an awesome story to tell!! Lol I bet you were sore when you woke up. Any proper CPR will break a persons sternum

Quoting TarotMommy:

I had my aorta valve replaced in 2004 with a mechanical heart valve which was supposed to last 30 years. It lasted 5 years when it completely stopped working. My son took me to the ER as my heart was failing. I was literally dying right there and the ER nurse just blew me off until other people there were actually giving up their numbers for me to get seen first. When I got in, the nurses were freaking out because my blood pressure was so slow that I should have been completely unconscious. I died but they revived me. And no I didn't see any light, damn it! Lol!

Quoting cassi_d_m:

Lol if I didn't learn to ignore it, I would probably go nuts!

Do you mind me asking, what's your cardiac history?

Quoting TarotMommy:

Wow, I think that attitude would piss me off especially considering I'm a heart patient! Glad you ignor the 'know it all's'.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinenonstop
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
So they have the lower medical authority in this situation? They need to shut up and just triage. Im sorry! Up here the ladder units know that even an emtb has the higher medical authority. Heck ive gone to fire houses to recert their cpr cards. They know that its my call and not theirs. Now that im a medic student, ive learned how to delegate my authority and responsibilities. Be confident! You're the higher medical authority on scene..dont let them talk down to you!

Quoting cassi_d_m:

The way it works is the aid unit is dispatched first to basically triage and they call medics. If the aid unit is already out and so are the medics, the the ladders and engines get pulled. 90% of calls are transports by private ambulance (me). The medic one aid units only transport if they are in auburn and want to go to the local hospital, or there is a MCI (multi causality incident)

Quoting marinenonstop:

Wait..so is it ems with the fire department or just fire fighters? Are they medics?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM
If ALS was already there, why were ya'll called, too?

Ok...explain to me how your organization works cuz I'm sooooo confused.

Here , our County Fire Rescue you have to be a paramedic and a firefighter. No EMTs. A straight FireMedic, only.

Then we have our manicipalities...city FD.

Sometimes city arrives first and county arrives with the rescue.

BLS around here is called usually don't do anything but interfacility transport. They can call ALS in case.

Quoting cassi_d_m:

Honestly, I believe they turfed the call cause they were about to be off.

The medics were there before we got there.

When I'm working, I give the medics one chance. Then if they refuse to transport, I get their unit number and document the shit out of that call.

Some medics here are just straight assholes and just don't care. Some are really great. But if I have one call on me because I refuse to transport or give them attitude, I could very easily be fire. My boss kisses fires ass like you wouldn't believe

Quoting BeAmour:

Around here, firefighters are my do-bitches while I take care of my assessments.

If they don't like my call to release or transport, not their issue. It's mine and the patients

As far as the 60yr old. If ALS is there, give report and deuce out and let them get a refusal from her OR they can leave, you do your assessment, call for ALS just on your high index of suspicion.

I refuse to be treated like that especially if there is a patient with me.

It makes no sense why you'd be called out to transport an ALS call, too especially if medics said her heart is already fluttering....meaning they're about to work her.

Hell no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Some medics are awesome :-)

Quoting Fushithedruid:

my uncle in law is a medic (i think? never really asked, lol. i've only met him a few times) and he's really nice. i hope your day goes better :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM

EMS where I lived last cut me loose after a seizure. I had gotten my teeth caught on my piercing (lol barbell saved my tongue). It lasted more than 20 minutes, and they got me to sign off. Now that wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't told me my last name! I was trying to sign my Maiden name. I don't remember a bit of it. I do recall about 15 minutes later after they were gone me popping back to reality and picking up conversation where I had left off about an hour before. Then I wondered why my tongue hurt.

BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Here , our County Fire Rescue you have to be a paramedic and a firefighter. No EMTs. A straight FireMedic, only.

BLS around here is called usually don't do anything but interfacility transport. They can call ALS in case.

Quoting cassi_d_m:

When I'm working, I give the medics one chance. Then if they refuse to transport, I get their unit number and document the shit out of that call.

Some medics here are just straight assholes and just don't care. Some are really great. But if I have one call on me because I refuse to transport or give them attitude, I could very easily be fire. My boss kisses fires ass like you wouldn't believe

Quoting BeAmour:

Around here, firefighters are my do-bitches while I take care of my assessments.

If they don't like my call to release or transport, not their issue. It's mine and the patients

As far as the 60yr old. If ALS is there, give report and deuce out and let them get a refusal from her OR they can leave, you do your assessment, call for ALS just on your high index of suspicion.

It makes no sense why you'd be called out to transport an ALS call, too especially if medics said her heart is already fluttering....meaning they're about to work her.

Hell no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Here you can't be even a firefighter unless you are an EMT b. so we are taught not to do anything against fire until they leave. Then I can do what I want lol

Quoting marinenonstop:

So they have the lower medical authority in this situation? They need to shut up and just triage. Im sorry! Up here the ladder units know that even an emtb has the higher medical authority. Heck ive gone to fire houses to recert their cpr cards. They know that its my call and not theirs. Now that im a medic student, ive learned how to delegate my authority and responsibilities. Be confident! You're the higher medical authority on scene..dont let them talk down to you!

Quoting cassi_d_m:

The way it works is the aid unit is dispatched first to basically triage and they call medics. If the aid unit is already out and so are the medics, the the ladders and engines get pulled. 90% of calls are transports by private ambulance (me). The medic one aid units only transport if they are in auburn and want to go to the local hospital, or there is a MCI (multi causality incident)

Quoting marinenonstop:

Wait..so is it ems with the fire department or just fire fighters? Are they medics?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM
huh? They forced you to sign a refusal of care with altered mental status?

Quoting ColleenF30:

EMS where I lived last cut me loose after a seizure. I had gotten my teeth caught on my piercing (lol barbell saved my tongue). It lasted more than 20 minutes, and they got me to sign off. Now that wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't told me my last name! I was trying to sign my Maiden name. I don't remember a bit of it. I do recall about 15 minutes later after they were gone me popping back to reality and picking up conversation where I had left off about an hour before. Then I wondered why my tongue hurt.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Here you can't be a firefighter unless you are an EMT b. So every call that comes into 911 the fire department shows up to triage and see if a medic is needed. If they don't think ALS is needed they call BLS. Sometime they don't even wait to get there and we are called right away. Sometimes we even show up before they do.

We literally take 90% of the 911 calls here. The medical ones at least. Ok maybe 80% but we definitely take the majority

Quoting BeAmour:

Quoting cassi_d_m:

Quoting BeAmour:

Hell no.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN