Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel bad but it had to be done...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 62 Replies
Last night around 1am I was at my wits end with breast feeding. I was exhausted, miserable, sore and very cranky. Our baby had been nursing for two hours straight and showed no signs of letting up. I was running on maybe two hours of sleep and was getting very frustrated; I knew once she finally fell asleep it'd only be two to three hours before she'd want to nurse again and the thought made me very depressed. I was crying while trying to feed her and I knew she could sense my feelings and it wasn't healthy for either of us to continue like that so I handed her off to hubby, got dressed and went to Walmart to buy formula. I had been saying all along I would exclusively breast feed but I just needed a break. I got a gallon of infant purified water and a container of enfamil newborn formula, when I got back to the house at 2am baby girl was still awake, hungry and fussy so I quickly got a bottle together for her. She downed 2.5oz of formula and passed out then slept for a solid 5 hours, the longest yet. I do feel bad for supplementing with formula but honestly I think it was the right thing to do because it wouldnt be right for me to breast feed her while that upset. I plan to only use the formula in emergency situations when I don't have any milk pumped and I desperately need a break; I really hope my husbands family doesn't find out and judge me for it, my MIL is a breast feeding nazi and would certainly bitch up a storm if she found out I used it... My family on the other hand would be totally supportive as I was exclusively formula fed as a baby and they see nothing wrong with it as I turned out just fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atyou
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel bad.

Having a sane Mommy is important too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Normal. It does get easier, you just have to work through it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhope4
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I dried out earlier than I wanted to and had to use formula. My dd turned out just fine! She slept...like a baby after that, lol. Don't beat yourself up over this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitarichman
by Anita on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe give her the formula bottle at her last feeding before bed too, so she sleeps longer. (YOU have to figure out what's best for you and baby, not anyone else) There's nothing wrong with doing both, I did and my 20 and 18 dd's are just fine. 

BluePandaDreams
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't feel bad. Sounds like the little one wasn't getting enough to eat and that may be due to your stress and not getting enough rest. Get some much needed rest and give it a go again, if this is something you really, really want to do. And this is coming from a mom who didn't breastfeed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with a happy, healthy, sleeping baby who has a full tummy.

mr.scariesmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Its ok and you did what was best for you and baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
How old is your baby and is he/she gaining weight?

I had problems with breastfeeding. My son would be on me for hours and he's still be hungry and he wasn't gaining weight like he should. After 2 months of struggling, we found out I was producing enough milk nor was I producing enough fat in the milk I had. Switching to formula was the best option for us. I felt guilty, buti got over that once I saw my baby gaining weight and being content.
Mehganh
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Exactly.

Quoting atyou:

Don't feel bad.

Having a sane Mommy is important too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Mommy needs sleep to. Don't feel bad. She was fed, she was safe and sound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)