Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone PLEASE tell me a VALID reason why you care what label someone puts on someone else?

Husband/Wife

Son/Daughter

Mom/Dad

Who CARES???

Why does it matter?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I didn't say your commitment was any less relevant. But notice how you called him your df and not your dh. That right there is the proof that some people can still understand the significance of saying your married vs engaged or dating. Dh & I have that piece of paper. Does it make it "better" than your lack of this piece of paper, no. But regardless, it's still an important difference.

Quoting Tink0711:

Just because some of us haven't gone the the courthouse/church/wherever & gotten that piece of paper does not mean we do not take our relationships seriously. Df & I have been together for 10 years. If that's not serious, I don't know what is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because some of us take the meanings of those things seriously. The commitment behind each of those things is relavant & using them inappropriately is a slap in the face to those who take them seriously.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

the only time I get annoyed is when people "don't believe" in marriage, yet they want to call their boyfriend or girlfriend their husband or wife. 

if you don't believe in it, why do you want the label? 

Tink0711
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM
But if someone sees us together & sees our wedding rings, and calls him my hubby, I do not correct them. Truthfully, all we need is that stupid piece of paper (yes that's all it is to us, a stupid piece of paper).

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't say your commitment was any less relevant. But notice how you called him your df and not your dh. That right there is the proof that some people can still understand the significance of saying your married vs engaged or dating. Dh & I have that piece of paper. Does it make it "better" than your lack of this piece of paper, no. But regardless, it's still an important difference.

Quoting Tink0711:

Just because some of us haven't gone the the courthouse/church/wherever & gotten that piece of paper does not mean we do not take our relationships seriously. Df & I have been together for 10 years. If that's not serious, I don't know what is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because some of us take the meanings of those things seriously. The commitment behind each of those things is relavant & using them inappropriately is a slap in the face to those who take them seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Personally, I don't care if people called themselves the man in the moon, it doesn't affect me.

On here, my guy is my SO. No, we're not married. IRL if its not a legal document he's my husband because "boyfriend" makes me feel like I'm in HS. And I'm not.

His son called me mom, and even when he passed I was there with his bio parents and she calls me his other mom. That's my son. No, I didn't birth him, but he was my son.

I have very dear girlfriends that we are "wifey", and they call my SO their husband. It's not disrespectful to me because our friendship is water tight. Its a term of endearment to us. If we go out and a guy is flirting with them and they don't want it, he's their man. And if he's on me at the time, I'm their wife too. LOL

I call my "wifey's" parents mom and dad, and I'm their other daughter.

I just can't understand why so many women get their panties in a wad over a title. And not a title that THEY put on their own relationship with *insert whomever*, but on a title someone else puts on their own relationship with *insert whomever*. Its a TITLE. Who CARES? Why does it affect you so much that you have to put down someone else's relationship, over a TITLE?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM
You wear wedding rings? But aren't married? That to me is horrible. Wedding rings also have great meaning and are a symbol of the commitment of marriage. If you all are committed enough to one another that you'd be "engaged" for 10 years and wear wedding rings, somethings stopping you from taking that final step. Which to me says that there are other issues.

Quoting Tink0711:

But if someone sees us together & sees our wedding rings, and calls him my hubby, I do not correct them. Truthfully, all we need is that stupid piece of paper (yes that's all it is to us, a stupid piece of paper).

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM
And you're worried that the word "boyfriend" makes you sound like you're in high-school..... ? K

Quoting lnrmom:

Personally, I don't care if people called themselves the man in the moon, it doesn't affect me.

On here, my guy is my SO. No, we're not married. IRL if its not a legal document he's my husband because "boyfriend" makes me feel like I'm in HS. And I'm not.

His son called me mom, and even when he passed I was there with his bio parents and she calls me his other mom. That's my son. No, I didn't birth him, but he was my son.

I have very dear girlfriends that we are "wifey", and they call my SO their husband. It's not disrespectful to me because our friendship is water tight. Its a term of endearment to us. If we go out and a guy is flirting with them and they don't want it, he's their man. And if he's on me at the time, I'm their wife too. LOL

I just can't understand why so many women get their panties in a wad over a title. And not a title that THEY put on their own relationship with *insert whomever*, but on a title someone else puts on their own relationship with *insert whomever*. Its a TITLE. Who CARES? Why does it affect you so much that you have to put down someone else's relationship, over a TITLE?

Tink0711
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Yeah, it's called LIFE. Having 3 kids, 2 with a lot of developmental issues from bm using drugs while pregnant. We feel married in our hearts; that stupid piece of paper is for assholes like you to see we are just as serious about sharing our lives as you are.

Quoting Anonymous:

You wear wedding rings? But aren't married? That to me is horrible. Wedding rings also have great meaning and are a symbol of the commitment of marriage. If you all are committed enough to one another that you'd be "engaged" for 10 years and wear wedding rings, somethings stopping you from taking that final step. Which to me says that there are other issues.

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM
So instead of going to the courthouse and getting a "piece of paper" you'd rather mock the institution by wearing rings and calling him your husband? That makes you the asshole. Not me.

Quoting Tink0711:

Yeah, it's called LIFE. Having 3 kids, 2 with a lot of developmental issues from bm using drugs while pregnant. We feel married in our hearts; that stupid piece of paper is for assholes like you to see we are just as serious about sharing our lives as you are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Makes you a judgemental ass... so... *shrug* whatever.

Quoting Anonymous:

And you're worried that the word "boyfriend" makes you sound like you're in high-school..... ? K

Quoting lnrmom:

Tink0711
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
When did I ever use the term "dh"? I didn't. We ARE married in our hearts, bodies & souls (where it matters). So unless you're gonna send us the $100+ to "go to the courthouse" stfu, & don't fucking worry about me & my DH's relationship!

Quoting Anonymous:

So instead of going to the courthouse and getting a "piece of paper" you'd rather mock the institution by wearing rings and calling him your husband? That makes you the asshole. Not me.

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tink0711:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)