Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why must a**holes send their sick kids to school? Edit- for the dummies.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 370 Replies
6 moms liked this

This isn't a debate about vaccinated or unvaccinated children as both are getting ill, but the parents aren't keeping them home when sick and there is a damned pertussis outbreak in the area. 6 children in the school I work in alone are sick and that is the ones that are diagnosed! There are many more sick throughout the area. I'm tired of worrying if everytime that a 3 or 4 yr old coughs in my face even after having been told twenty thousand times throughout the day to please cover their mouth when they cough, that I will be going home with whooping cough or be a carrier monkey and bring it home to my children or their father. Ugh.

Keep your kids home if they are sick people for their own sake as well as that of others. I feel bad when I call a parent that their child is ill and they don't get picked up, especially by the ones at home. I understand people can't just always pick up and leave from work if they are the person who brings home the bacon, but that is why you are supposed to list emergency contacts who are actually available to pick up your child in the event that you cannot.

Edit: Since people are apparently too stupid to understand. If YOUR CHILD is sick for OVER A WEEK and you haven't care enough to take them in to the doctor for a check up to make sure it isn't something like pnuemonia, whooping cough, bronchitis or worse, you FAIL as a parent. I understand that you have to work. I have a job too and you know what? MY FAMILY and their health comes first!! It always will. 

For those that work, that is fine and dandy. It is YOUR JOB as a parent to make ALTERNATE arrangements for your child if you cannot pick them up. What in blue hell do you do if you there is a snow day and school is canceled? What happens if due to weather, school has an early dismissal?Who watches your kids if your childcare... er I mean school is closed? You are supposed to have emergency contacts. You are supposed to have alternate arrangements in place.

Edit again: Who in the blue hell is saying take your kid to the doctor and keep them home for every sneeze and sniffle and cough? If a week or more has passed and your child is STILL sick they obviously need more help than what you are giving them. If they are at school, YOU are not giving them much help to begin with. Check out 8 ways you could be making you cold worse: here. The flu can seem like a cold. RSV can start off like a cold. A severe sinus infection can start off like the flu. Pnuemonia can start off WITH a cold or the flu. Whooping cough can seem like the common cold. YOU are not a doctor unless of course you are one. Lol. Fact of the matter is most parents are NOT qualified to diagnose their child. If an illness is LINGERING, take your kid in. Is your paycheck really worth MORE than your child's health?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree completely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4boyz1girl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Cause they are just that...assholes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this
It's one thing to be an asshole to others, but to send your own obviously sick and miserable kid to school, that is the height of douchebaggery.

Quoting momof4boyz1girl:

momof4boyz1girl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. It pisses me off cause I have five kids so if one gets something, more than likely the others get it too.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's one thing to be an asshole to others, but to send your own obviously sick and miserable kid to school, that is the height of douchebaggery.

Quoting momof4boyz1girl:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

The cdc is issuing warnings on tv and the school district is issuing notices this weekend of what symptoms to look for.

Quoting Cpdsptchgrl:

I agree completely!
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
8 moms liked this
Or maybe they have to work, and honestly do not have anyone to pick up their kids if they are sick.

When my husband and I were both working (I am laid off right now), we had no backup person to get our kids if they got sick at school. The only relative we have who lives near us is my elderly mom, who cannot drive. We have no friends or neighbors who can pick up our kids if need be. So one of us would have to miss work to get our kid, if one of them got sick, and that was sometimes a huge hassle. I had a ton of paid time off at my last job, and a boss who was flexible with my schedule, so I fortunately could take off work if my kids were sick.

But at other jobs I've had, I'd be at risk of losing my job if even dared use any sick time, period. So yeah, when I had those jobs, if one of my kids was complaining about feeling a little under the weather, but was not so sick that they couldn't get out of bed, or vomiting or running a high fever, yes, I would send them to school.

Oh, and my kids have asthma and allergies, so if I kept them home from school every time they have a cough or a runny nose, they'd each be missing a day of school every week. That would go over really well with their schools, I'm sure.

It's not about most parents being "assholes", it's about most moms having to work outside the home, and most jobs not being flexible with parents taking time off from work for sick kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
3 moms liked this

If I kept my kids home everytime they had a cough or sneeze. They would never be at school. Now if they have a productive cough, green snot, a fever or puking I will. 

alwayskk
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
8 moms liked this

Pertussis is highly contagious. At first, it develops like a cold, something most parents wouldn't keep a kid home for. Over a week later is when the cough begins. Keeping the kid home from school once the cough begins won't help prevent the spread of disease...the incubation period is too long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
For that my child would stay home but he does go to school while sick often.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this
i send my kid to school if she has a cough... its when she has other symptoms i will keep her home. otherwise she would miss school once a week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured