Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why must a**holes send their sick kids to school? Edit- for the dummies.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This isn't a debate about vaccinated or unvaccinated children as both are getting ill, but the parents aren't keeping them home when sick and there is a damned pertussis outbreak in the area. 6 children in the school I work in alone are sick and that is the ones that are diagnosed! There are many more sick throughout the area. I'm tired of worrying if everytime that a 3 or 4 yr old coughs in my face even after having been told twenty thousand times throughout the day to please cover their mouth when they cough, that I will be going home with whooping cough or be a carrier monkey and bring it home to my children or their father. Ugh.

Keep your kids home if they are sick people for their own sake as well as that of others. I feel bad when I call a parent that their child is ill and they don't get picked up, especially by the ones at home. I understand people can't just always pick up and leave from work if they are the person who brings home the bacon, but that is why you are supposed to list emergency contacts who are actually available to pick up your child in the event that you cannot.

Edit: Since people are apparently too stupid to understand. If YOUR CHILD is sick for OVER A WEEK and you haven't care enough to take them in to the doctor for a check up to make sure it isn't something like pnuemonia, whooping cough, bronchitis or worse, you FAIL as a parent. I understand that you have to work. I have a job too and you know what? MY FAMILY and their health comes first!! It always will. 

For those that work, that is fine and dandy. It is YOUR JOB as a parent to make ALTERNATE arrangements for your child if you cannot pick them up. What in blue hell do you do if you there is a snow day and school is canceled? What happens if due to weather, school has an early dismissal?Who watches your kids if your childcare... er I mean school is closed? You are supposed to have emergency contacts. You are supposed to have alternate arrangements in place.

Edit again: Who in the blue hell is saying take your kid to the doctor and keep them home for every sneeze and sniffle and cough? If a week or more has passed and your child is STILL sick they obviously need more help than what you are giving them. If they are at school, YOU are not giving them much help to begin with. Check out 8 ways you could be making you cold worse: here. The flu can seem like a cold. RSV can start off like a cold. A severe sinus infection can start off like the flu. Pnuemonia can start off WITH a cold or the flu. Whooping cough can seem like the common cold. YOU are not a doctor unless of course you are one. Lol. Fact of the matter is most parents are NOT qualified to diagnose their child. If an illness is LINGERING, take your kid in. Is your paycheck really worth MORE than your child's health?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Replies (341-350):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I read very well, thank you. You stated you did not have aged child and if they were old enough to be in school, which can be interpreted to mean you either have a baby or that you have already raised your children. Honestly, I worry about your child because since you are a nurse, you seem to think you will magically KNOW if it is something other than a common cold. Things like pneumonia do need antibiotics and the worse a parent let's it get because "oh, it's just a cold" or "it's just a virus" the stronger the dose of antibiotics will need to be when a simple check up and an all clear note OR a proper diagnosis for pneumonia or bronchitis or sinusitis would have been just a trip to the doctor away. Honestly, if a doctor has a problem doing his or her job, which is to ensure the patient is indeed well, then they shouldn't be a doctor. This is why so many children are sent home with a misdiagnosis. It really is a damned shame.

Quoting Anonymous:

My child is four and is going to a catholic school next fall, so no, my child is not in school nor have I sent my child to school sick as my child is not yet in school. I guess you too "lack the intelligence to read the post properly and comprehend."

I have been a nurse for seven years. We get the kids in our clinic (which is inside the hospital) for doctor's notes because they're "too sick for school"...and many of them are okay to be in school and no longer contagious. The majority of them have viruses, which are generally not treated with antibiotics. You can treat and alleviate the symptoms with cough syrup or acetaminophen, but it has to run it's course. It would help if schools would let the students have cough drops but now they have to be given to the school nurse at a lot of schools. Doc gives the parents a note and sends the kids on their way. So no, bitch, I'm not one of "those moms".

Quoting Anonymous:

Ah, I hit a nerve. You were one to send them sick and obviously you fucking lack the intelligence to read the post properly and comprehend. If you took your kid to the doctor and brought an all clear note then you are not one of the pricks I'm talking about, are you? So have a cup of stfu and have a good evening.
Quoting Anonymous:

Actually bitch, my child isn't school-aged and if my child were old enough to go to school and their doctor said they were okay to go to school, then they would go to school, regardless of what an uptight asshole like yourself thinks. You're exposed to germs everywhere. Build a bubble if you aren't okay with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ah, you must be one of the cunts that willingly exposes people to their sick kids. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so rude. Kids get sick and the parents are supposed to care for their kids health. Whether at work, on the bus, at the store, if you're an asshole who doesn't give two shits about your own kids health, obviously you're not going to care about others. Why have children if you don't want to care for their well being?

At least I can comfort the child when their asshole parent doesn't come for them and they are crying for mommy or daddy.

Quoting Anonymous:

You said that most parents are not qualified to diagnose their child. Well, unless you are a doctor, neither are you little miss priss. Stop being a cunt to everyone. You chose to work in a school with young children. I guess you should have considered that children get sick sometimes.

Quoting Anonymous:

This isn't a debate about vaccinated or unvaccinated children as both are getting ill, but the parents aren't keeping them home when sick and there is a damned pertussis outbreak in the area. 6 children in the school I work in alone are sick and that is the ones that are diagnosed! There are many more sick throughout the area. I'm tired of worrying if everytime that a 3 or 4 yr old coughs in my face even after having been told twenty thousand times throughout the day to please cover their mouth when they cough, that I will be going home with whooping cough or be a carrier monkey and bring it home to my children or their father. Ugh.

Keep your kids home if they are sick people for their own sake as well as that of others. I feel bad when I call a parent that their child is ill and they don't get picked up, especially by the ones at home. I understand people can't just always pick up and leave from work if they are the person who brings home the bacon, but that is why you are supposed to list emergency contacts who are actually available to pick up your child in the event that you cannot.

Edit: Since people are apparently too stupid to understand. If YOUR CHILD is sick for OVER A WEEK and you haven't care enough to take them in to the doctor for a check up to make sure it isn't something like pnuemonia, whooping cough, bronchitis or worse, you FAIL as a parent. I understand that you have to work. I have a job too and you know what? MY FAMILY and their health comes first!! It always will. 

For those that work, that is fine and dandy. It is YOUR JOB as a parent to make ALTERNATE arrangements for your child if you cannot pick them up. What in blue hell do you do if you there is a snow day and school is canceled? What happens if due to weather, school has an early dismissal?Who watches your kids if your childcare... er I mean school is closed? You are supposed to have emergency contacts. You are supposed to have alternate arrangements in place.

Edit again: Who in the blue hell is saying take your kid to the doctor and keep them home for every sneeze and sniffle and cough? If a week or more has passed and your child is STILL sick they obviously need more help than what you are giving them. If they are at school, YOU are not giving them much help to begin with. Check out 8 ways you could be making you cold worse: here. The flu can seem like a cold. RSV can start off like a cold. A severe sinus infection can start off like the flu. Pnuemonia can start off WITH a cold or the flu. Whooping cough can seem like the common cold. YOU are not a doctor unless of course you are one. Lol. Fact of the matter is most parents are NOT qualified to diagnose their child. If an illness is LINGERING, take your kid in. Is your paycheck really worth MORE than your child's health?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

This is why we vaccinate.

You can't force parents to conform to a set of rules and parents have choice. There are a lot of ill informed and plain selfish parents that make things worse which is why I take steps to make us as 'safe' as I can.

I agree that you shouldn't send your sick kid to school and I am one that wishes that unvaccinated kids would go to their own pediatricians where they are less a risk for newborns and others that are at risk, but that isn't going to happen so I do what I have to do as a parent which includes keeping my own kids at home when I think it is necessary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momniscient:

This is why we vaccinate.

You can't force parents to conform to a set of rules and parents have choice. There are a lot of ill informed and plain selfish parents that make things worse which is why I take steps to make us as 'safe' as I can.

I agree that you shouldn't send your sick kid to school and I am one that wishes that unvaccinated kids would go to their own pediatricians where they are less a risk for newborns and others that are at risk, but that isn't going to happen so I do what I have to do as a parent which includes keeping my own kids at home when I think it is necessary.

We too are a vaccinating family, but sadly even vaccinations are not 100%. You're right. All we can do is the best for ourselves and our families, but good teachers care about their class. It isn't just about myself or my kids, but about the ones I teach day in and day out for a year. The one's who's favorite color I know, who's stuffed animal is named after me because I spend so much time with them and take the time to listen to them talk. It's about the one who's shoe I tie daily and who's boogers I wipe. Lol. The hugs and smiles and hellos I get after a weekend. I hate to see them so sick and miserable and wanting mommy or daddy and obviously needing medicine which we can't give them and since their parents don't take them in to the doctor they aren't getting their meds because without the signed permission from the doctor we cannot give it to them. *sighs*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM
*yawn* You're so persistent in trying to express that you're right and everyone else is wrong despite your lack of a medical degree. Someone should bake you a big-ass cookie so you'll chill.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, I read very well, thank you. You stated you did not have aged child and if they were old enough to be in school, which can be interpreted to mean you either have a baby or that you have already raised your children. Honestly, I worry about your child because since you are a nurse, you seem to think you will magically KNOW if it is something other than a common cold. Things like pneumonia do need antibiotics and the worse a parent let's it get because "oh, it's just a cold" or "it's just a virus" the stronger the dose of antibiotics will need to be when a simple check up and an all clear note OR a proper diagnosis for pneumonia or bronchitis or sinusitis would have been just a trip to the doctor away. Honestly, if a doctor has a problem doing his or her job, which is to ensure the patient is indeed well, then they shouldn't be a doctor. This is why so many children are sent home with a misdiagnosis. It really is a damned shame.

Quoting Anonymous:

My child is four and is going to a catholic school next fall, so no, my child is not in school nor have I sent my child to school sick as my child is not yet in school. I guess you too "lack the intelligence to read the post properly and comprehend."

I have been a nurse for seven years. We get the kids in our clinic (which is inside the hospital) for doctor's notes because they're "too sick for school"...and many of them are okay to be in school and no longer contagious. The majority of them have viruses, which are generally not treated with antibiotics. You can treat and alleviate the symptoms with cough syrup or acetaminophen, but it has to run it's course. It would help if schools would let the students have cough drops but now they have to be given to the school nurse at a lot of schools. Doc gives the parents a note and sends the kids on their way. So no, bitch, I'm not one of "those moms".

Quoting Anonymous:

Ah, I hit a nerve. You were one to send them sick and obviously you fucking lack the intelligence to read the post properly and comprehend. If you took your kid to the doctor and brought an all clear note then you are not one of the pricks I'm talking about, are you? So have a cup of stfu and have a good evening.
Quoting Anonymous:

Actually bitch, my child isn't school-aged and if my child were old enough to go to school and their doctor said they were okay to go to school, then they would go to school, regardless of what an uptight asshole like yourself thinks. You're exposed to germs everywhere. Build a bubble if you aren't okay with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ah, you must be one of the cunts that willingly exposes people to their sick kids. Otherwise, you wouldn't be so rude. Kids get sick and the parents are supposed to care for their kids health. Whether at work, on the bus, at the store, if you're an asshole who doesn't give two shits about your own kids health, obviously you're not going to care about others. Why have children if you don't want to care for their well being?

At least I can comfort the child when their asshole parent doesn't come for them and they are crying for mommy or daddy.

Quoting Anonymous:

You said that most parents are not qualified to diagnose their child. Well, unless you are a doctor, neither are you little miss priss. Stop being a cunt to everyone. You chose to work in a school with young children. I guess you should have considered that children get sick sometimes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I don't need a fucking cookie. I just need students that are happy and healthy and well cared for. I'd be very happy with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

*yawn* You're so persistent in trying to express that you're right and everyone else is wrong despite your lack of a medical degree. Someone should bake you a big-ass cookie so you'll chill.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

supercarp
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Unfortunately, not everyone is well-suited to being a parent, and this is one area where bad parenting becomes most obvious.

IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM

If a kid is legitimately sick/contagious, they should stay home.

Same goes for adults going to school or work. Don't infect other people eh!

crispysmom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM
I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

A cold can last more than a week. Not all illnesses are doctor worthy. My kids aren't sick often, and I don't pretend I can keep them from getting sick, or that keeping them home every time they are sick will stop others from getting sick, or will help them get better quicker. You just have to use common sense when making the decision to keep them home, take them to the doctor, or let them go to school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM
I've read excuse upon excuse here. It's just a cold. I'm not paying the money for a doctors visit every time they're sick. I can't miss work. I have no family to help. I have no friends. It's just sickening and sad and maddening at the same time.

Quoting supercarp:

Unfortunately, not everyone is well-suited to being a parent, and this is one area where bad parenting becomes most obvious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)