Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents answer your freaking phones! Your child may actually freaking need you.

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom works in a daycare center. They just sent a 3yo to the hospital due to fever seizures. They noticed he had a fever early in the day, (his mom probably knew he had one but sent him, anyway) and the daycare can't give him Tylenol without the parent. Well, they call and call and call all the numbers on this child's list, and no one would answer. Mom thinks that the mom didn't want to answer and have to actually come get the kiddo.

This poor baby's fever just kept going up. He ended up convulsing and they had to send for an ambulance, all because the mom or dad didn't answer their phone or check it for HOURS. The kid went to the hospital and the parents still don't know.

If you work, please make sure the number you give as an emergency contact is a number you will actually answer! I understand needing to work to make money, but that is ridiculous!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Replies (101-110):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree you have to have an EXTREAMLY high fever for that to happen.  They should have called an ambulance before it got that high because then the ER can legally treat him.

Quoting Anonymous:

My child never went to daycare so I am just curious..........how long will the provider let the child run a fever (high fever) before they call an ambulance?  I guess what I am trying to say is how long until you just say "forget this" and call ambulance, and worry about parent later?  This is really scary to me.  I know it has to be for the caretakers as well. 

This is what I was thinking also.  Because if they can't even administer fever reducer...........My thoughts were how do they know when to make that "call".  How long before you ask for "outside" help(ambulance) because the parent getting contacted, leaving work, picking up the child..........that all takes precious time.  I was honestly just curious about policy.  I have neices and nephews that go to daycare, but I never thought to ask the parents what they do when this stuff happens.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Usually at least three.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Wow, in addition to my number, DH's cell, DH's office, and DH's first shirt, the school also has 3 family/friends that they can call, too!

How many emergency contacts does the daycare require?

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:25 PM

The mom could have been at work, the mom could have a job where she is not allowed to answer the phone.
Why didn't the daycare call her place of employment to get ahold of her? I can't imagine any place where they couldn't leave a message.

Did they leave a message on the phone to call ASAP? Or did they just keep calling? Are they sure it was a cell phone?

Poor kiddo 

hudson.maggie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope so too. That poor baby :(

Quoting mem82:

I'm not sure because Mom called me on lunch. I'll have to wait and see if she calls me on her next break or at the end of the day. I hope they found someone to be with him.

Maybe the hospital might ask a police officer to go to the mom's job???

Quoting hudson.maggie:

How is the child doing now? Is there anyone with him? Have they gotten ahold of the mom?

I personally think there is no excuse that NOONE answered their phones. If a job won't allow u to carry a cell they almost always have an office phone in case of emergency if not I would not leave my phone

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Some people just shouldn't have kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

there's a woman in my area that I'm sure she wishes she'd answered the phone instead of finding out 8 hours after the fact that her daughter never made it to school.

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I always answer the daycare
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

This is why I hate babysitting for my sister. She will turn off her phone so she isnt disturbed. My mom had them one day and my niece passed out (she was very sick and in the hospital by the time my mom got in touch with her, but couldn't be treated without consent). My parents were pissed because she was busy with her newest bf.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

As far as I know, nobody went in the ambulance. The director or asst. director probably followed in a car. It probably depends on how many workers they have that day, because the centers can't be out of adult child ratio.

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

So who is with the child at the ER?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

what does CPR have to do with first aide and common sense??

And how the hell do you figure Tylenol is more dangerous than a SEIZURE (of any kind)

Quoting MedicMommy2:

CPR is cardiopulmonary resuscitation.....not sure what that has to do with giving meds. The boy is going to be fine, its just febrile seizures. It is not worth going to jail, losing their livelihood to give the kid Tylenol that he could have had a lethal reaction to, or may not have worked all together. The point is the parents should make sure someone on their list is reachable. If parents were not so sue happy these laws would not have to exist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN