Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pro Life with exceptions IS NOT Pro Choice! ****ETA****

Posted by   + Show Post

IMO, if someone wants abortion illegal, even with exceptions, you are still PL. I get so annoyed when a PL person says "I think abortion should be allowed for rape, incest, maternal health" and someone comes back with "That makes you Pro Choice". It doesn't, Pro Choice (again IMO) means giving women all their choices, freedom to choice regardless of reason. If you are only giving her choices under special circumstances, how is that "Pro Choice"? I get that it isn't entirely Pro Life either, it is somewhere in the middle. 

**ETA**

From the responses, it seems many people don't/can't separate their personal feelings from their political views. So, to be sure we are all "on the same page", lets keep the opinions to your political views on abortion. Do you feel the federal or state government should ban it? Place stricter regulations on it, that sort of thing. Ya now, how would YOU VOTE if the subject appeared on your ballot?

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Replies (481-490):
MyDoula
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raped when I was 20 yrs old. I did not consider aborting an innocent life that had half my DNA. It wasn't an ideal situation but we made it and I loved my baby. That baby has a family of their own now and happy. My last 2 pregnancies ended with miscarriage but I had to go in for a D + E, medical abortion. I was devastated by the loss of my babies and horrified at the thought of the procedure, but it was necessary for my safety to remove the babies remains. Abortion as a medical procedure used for the right reason is in it's correct context. Nation wide, government sanctioned, termination of a pregnancy for any reason is morally wrong and for the most part unnecessary. Birth control can be implanted in you and you can be pregnancy free for 5 yrs.  That's a mature choice. Babies in the womb have no voice accept for those who speak up against this societal miscarriage of justice. This is a baby we are discussing. We don't accept shaking a baby to death out of frustration, why accept abortion on demand. Romney's exceptions are so vague it looks like pro abortion. I never regretted keeping my baby. But I know women who are haunted by their abortions. Choose wisely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Over 91% happen at 12 weeks or less gestation.

Quoting MommyJ451:

While you are arguing over semantics;
why not relabel "Choice" to be what it really is???
"Fetal MURDER!"
especially at 6+ months when it is possible to nurture (outside the mother) even though "premature"
extranopickle
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Are you kidding me?!? Pro-choice is exactly what the name says, meaning I would be for allowing a woman to make that decision. I wouldn't make the decision to get an abortion myself, but if someone else chose to do so, then so be it. Being pro-choice does NOT equal being pro-abortion. That is an ignorant assumption. Even women who would fall under the "exceptions clause" would still have to make that choice. What about that expectant mother that is glowing because she is about to add to her family, but has just found out that her child will have major disabilities or that to carry full-term could be detrimental to both the child and the mother...I want you to find me ONE mother in that situation that would be happy about having to make that call. Even with the exceptions clause, that woman is still being offered a CHOICE. So, by your logic, if a woman in the aforementioned scenario chose to abort, she would be pro-abortion. I highly doubt that.

I understand the radical mentality that abortion is murder and unchristian-like. God gave us free will to make our own choices. If the Almighty God was willing to allow us that freedom, what makes any human so bold as to think they should make decisions for other people?

Quoting areyouatroll:

If you support legalized abortion for any reason (except death on the part of the mother), you are pro choice aka pro abortion.

Look people, I did not invent the definition for pro abortion. If you support legalized abortion you are pro abortion, deal with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 47 on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I came across this by accident on a friend's computer. I think all of you are nuts and need to spend more time with your children and less time arguing about something that you can't change with people you don't know. IMO

phoenixmom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM
You cannot ever prove rape 100%, just bc she didn't fight, maybe she would have been killed or beaten or just plain too scared to do anything. Not everyone is the same. 87% of all women have abortions done by 12 weeks. Goal should be to have 99% by this time, there are 1000 medical reasons why a woman would need one after this time period and it would be discovered by a doctor. Keep abortions legal and safe.
dianaslost
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Check out this movie, it can really help you put things into perspective, in my opinion.  http://www.180movie.com/

areyouatroll
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I am sorry you do not agree with the definition of pro abortion. Maybe you should lobby and pursue change of the meaning?

Quoting extranopickle:

Are you kidding me?!? Pro-choice is exactly what the name says, meaning I would be for allowing a woman to make that decision. I wouldn't make the decision to get an abortion myself, but if someone else chose to do so, then so be it. Being pro-choice does NOT equal being pro-abortion. That is an ignorant assumption. Even women who would fall under the "exceptions clause" would still have to make that choice. What about that expectant mother that is glowing because she is about to add to her family, but has just found out that her child will have major disabilities or that to carry full-term could be detrimental to both the child and the mother...I want you to find me ONE mother in that situation that would be happy about having to make that call. Even with the exceptions clause, that woman is still being offered a CHOICE. So, by your logic, if a woman in the aforementioned scenario chose to abort, she would be pro-abortion. I highly doubt that.

I understand the radical mentality that abortion is murder and unchristian-like. God gave us free will to make our own choices. If the Almighty God was willing to allow us that freedom, what makes any human so bold as to think they should make decisions for other people?

Quoting areyouatroll:

If you support legalized abortion for any reason (except death on the part of the mother), you are pro choice aka pro abortion.

Look people, I did not invent the definition for pro abortion. If you support legalized abortion you are pro abortion, deal with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessw2010
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

no, it's not "bologna".  a heartbeat is a heartbeat no matter how early.  No, humans are not endangered species, but human life is more valuable than a bald eagle.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your heartbeat arguments just bologna you thought you would throw and see if it sticks?Even though an early "heart beat" is barely more then a muscle growing and spasming..

Double homicide? First , the women gets to make the choice not someone else ...like say a murderer. Secondly it's often not considered murder of a "Baby" if the women is early enough in her pregnancy to  have chosen an abortion. These cut off lines change from state to state but simply being a pregnant murder victim does not automatically mean 2 charges of homicide. ( another red herring?) 

Are human beings an  endangered species ? Do we get charged for killing fertilised chicken eggs ?

Quoting jessw2010:  

no, it's still a developing baby. it amazes me that if you murder a pregnant woman it's a double homocide, but the mother has the "right" to kill her own baby and if you "kill" a bald eagle egg you get a large fine. . . . .really, we value a bald eagle egg more than human life?

Quoting Anonymous:

So would abortion be okay if it happens before a heart beat?

Quoting jessw2010:

yeah dandruff has human dna, but not a heart beat or arms or legs. just because a baby can't live outside of the womb doesn't make it less of a person. . . . .you can argue that all you want, but that doesn't make you right. it's ignorant people like you that are ruining this country.

Quoting Anonymous:

dandruff has human DNA , so what? 

heartbeat alone doesn't make a newborn baby. They need to be able to live outside of the womb. There is a reason why a fetus is called a fetus and not called a newborn baby. 

Quoting jessw2010:

umm excuse me, if you looked at my sonogram when I was pregnant and then looked at the sonogram of a woman who was raped there would be no difference. so yes, it is a person worthy of protection,even if you were raped! the "fetus" still has a heartbeat and human dna. . . . .rape makes no difference!

Quoting Bellarose0212:

That's easier to defend than, "A fetus is a person and worthy of protection unless the mother didn't have consensual sex because if she did have consensual sex she should have kept her legs clothes or deal with the consequences. If she was raped, the fetus is no longer a person and no longer worthy of protection, even though the fetus is biologically and developmentally the same no matter how it was concieved." Incest is also difficult because in most cases of incest, the risk of any health issues with the child as a result of incest are slim. Also, how would they enforce those laws? Every woman who wanted an abortion could claim rape or incest and it would be hard/take to long to prove otherwise.Your exception is easier to prove, with documentation of an ectopic pregnancy, life threatening preeclampsia, cancer, etc. from a doctor.

Quoting AllofFive19:++

A fetus is a person and worthy of protection, until that protection threatens the life of the mother carrying that fetus. 

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Okay, but then you are saying that the fetus doesn't really have personhood and are making exceptions to what you deem murder.

A mother's mental health may or may not be in jeopardy because she was raped and may or may not be in jeopardy even if she had consensual sex (but has other obstacles in her life that might make a pregnancy traumatic, like domestic abuse or not enough to go around for her kids or extremely religious parents who may harm her). As soon as you are making exceptions based around life circumstances, it is about judging her life circumstances and deciding if those are good enough reasons to abort. If you are judging whether an abortion is justified, you are giving consenses that the fetus does not have personhood and is not always deserving of protection, as a born child would be. So, that is harder to defend than, a fetus is a person and always worthy of protection.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM
True True.
jessw2010
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

no, you sound crazy. . . . .alot of people support late term abortions ( after 12 weeks) without any medical need. they believe a woman should have the right to choose, not matter how far along.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I support choice for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. No one in their right mind supports abortion without medical need beyond viability. To insinuate people do makes you look like a crazy extremist.

Quoting MommyJ451:

While you are arguing over semantics;
why not relabel "Choice" to be what it really is???
"Fetal MURDER!"
especially at 6+ months when it is possible to nurture (outside the mother) even though "premature"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)