Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pro Life with exceptions IS NOT Pro Choice! ****ETA****

Posted by   + Show Post

IMO, if someone wants abortion illegal, even with exceptions, you are still PL. I get so annoyed when a PL person says "I think abortion should be allowed for rape, incest, maternal health" and someone comes back with "That makes you Pro Choice". It doesn't, Pro Choice (again IMO) means giving women all their choices, freedom to choice regardless of reason. If you are only giving her choices under special circumstances, how is that "Pro Choice"? I get that it isn't entirely Pro Life either, it is somewhere in the middle. 

**ETA**

From the responses, it seems many people don't/can't separate their personal feelings from their political views. So, to be sure we are all "on the same page", lets keep the opinions to your political views on abortion. Do you feel the federal or state government should ban it? Place stricter regulations on it, that sort of thing. Ya now, how would YOU VOTE if the subject appeared on your ballot?

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Replies (491-500):
TLIF1281
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

That opens up a whole other argument about wether a woman brings it on herself or not and I wish not to get in to it. I have done a ton of research and sometimes they have to actually perform an abortion if the pregnancy is not viable because your body is still saying "I'm pregnant." Even if it is not viable. Usually your body will miscarry it on it's own but sometimes your body needs help. 

Quoting jessw2010:

if the baby does not have a heartbeat then it's not a viable pregnancy, therefore not an abortion. yes, abortion can be outlawed completely. . . . .if a woman goes underground for an unsafe abortion and something goes wrong, then she brought that on herself.

Quoting TLIF1281:

Ok to each their own. If a woman feels that it is best for her and the baby then they should have the right. This being said myself I would not choose abortion that is just me. Now going on a side road here. Romney can't seem to make up his mind if he wants to keep abortion legal or illegalize it. YOU CAN NOT COMPLETELY ILLEGALIZE ABORTION! The reason I say this is because abortion is used for WAY more things than just ending a viable pregnancy by a woman's choice. The pregnancy itself may not be viable in meaning it could be what they call a fibroid or an inviable fetus where it is forming but has no heartbeat the list goes on as well as oh the amount of women that will go underground to have unsafe abortions. Abortions are never 100% safe there are complications as is with any procedure but women will be going to back alleys and in to creepy unsanitary buildings to get abortions. That I do not agree with! Sorry I have been looking for a spot to put this. Yes on teh other hand Obama has his points when it comes to abortion like him believing in late term abortion and that is a whole other horrible thing. Ok I am off my soap box now lol! 

BabyFetus Ticker
YesImABitch
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Were we go again! Just shut the fuck up already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessw2010
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

my child's life comes before mine ALWAYS! that's the way it's supposed to be. I have a boy, but he will know from day one that abortion is wrong in ANY case, and if I had a daughter she would know that as well and never consider an abortion because that is how I would raise her. I am so happy to hear that the dominican republic has taken a huge step in the right direction.

Quoting cleo_is_mine:

Hey Pro-Lifers with no exception: 16 yo pregnant with cancer dies awaiting chemo because Dominican Republic bans abortion and no doctor would treat the cancer b/c  chemo could terminate pregnancy. Now pretend this is your daughter and tell me honestly you wouldnt take a different position? Some people are just blind to the matters that go beyond their own experience. but just because a situation never crossed your mind (like having a pregnant teen in your household?) , it doesnt mean that it is not happening all over the world.  Please please, try to take your minds off of all preceived concepts and imagine, is it ok for let a cancer patient die because chemo cant be given if she is pregnant? because that's what an abortion ban is. NO ABORTION. WHATSOEVER. in under ANY circumstance. That's just nuts! I am pro choice but I'll side with pro lifers with exception any day before 100%pro lifers.

jessw2010
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

my mom had to have a dnc between my sister and I because she miscarried and the pregnancy wasnt viable , but it wasn't an abortion because an abortion terminates a viable pregnancy

Quoting TLIF1281:

That opens up a whole other argument about wether a woman brings it on herself or not and I wish not to get in to it. I have done a ton of research and sometimes they have to actually perform an abortion if the pregnancy is not viable because your body is still saying "I'm pregnant." Even if it is not viable. Usually your body will miscarry it on it's own but sometimes your body needs help. 

Quoting jessw2010:

if the baby does not have a heartbeat then it's not a viable pregnancy, therefore not an abortion. yes, abortion can be outlawed completely. . . . .if a woman goes underground for an unsafe abortion and something goes wrong, then she brought that on herself.

Quoting TLIF1281:

Ok to each their own. If a woman feels that it is best for her and the baby then they should have the right. This being said myself I would not choose abortion that is just me. Now going on a side road here. Romney can't seem to make up his mind if he wants to keep abortion legal or illegalize it. YOU CAN NOT COMPLETELY ILLEGALIZE ABORTION! The reason I say this is because abortion is used for WAY more things than just ending a viable pregnancy by a woman's choice. The pregnancy itself may not be viable in meaning it could be what they call a fibroid or an inviable fetus where it is forming but has no heartbeat the list goes on as well as oh the amount of women that will go underground to have unsafe abortions. Abortions are never 100% safe there are complications as is with any procedure but women will be going to back alleys and in to creepy unsanitary buildings to get abortions. That I do not agree with! Sorry I have been looking for a spot to put this. Yes on teh other hand Obama has his points when it comes to abortion like him believing in late term abortion and that is a whole other horrible thing. Ok I am off my soap box now lol! 

TLIF1281
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

The term miscarriage was formed to give women who wanted the pregnancy comfort in the loss. I like the term. It brought me comfort when I had all 3 of mine. It's technical term is a spontanious abortion. If you think of the definanition of the word "Abort" It means to get rid of or abandon a mission because it is not working or something has gone wrong. So a miscarriage is an abortion and an abortion is well technically taking a life of a human being and that is technically murder. Me myself it is not for me but I do understand why some women do it. I had thought about having one when I found out I was pregnant right before I left my ex husband and then god took it in to his own hands. Regardless of whose baby it was I don't think I could have lived with that choice and I think that is why god took it in to his own hands. You might have goten from my reply that I am completely pro-choice. I just am for other women. Thohave beliefs on the timing of when a woman should be allowed to get an abortion but then it gets really sticky and people don't like it so.  

Quoting jessw2010:

my mom had to have a dnc between my sister and I because she miscarried and the pregnancy wasnt viable , but it wasn't an abortion because an abortion terminates a viable pregnancy

Quoting TLIF1281:

Quoting jessw2010:

Quoting TLIF1281:

BabyFetus Ticker
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Prove it. While many support most states guidelines (generally around 18 weeks) I don't know of anyone that support abortion for no medical need beyond viability. You say "a lot" do, show me, otherwise you are simply talking out of your ass.

Quoting jessw2010:

no, you sound crazy. . . . .alot of people support late term abortions ( after 12 weeks) without any medical need. they believe a woman should have the right to choose, not matter how far along.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I support choice for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. No one in their right mind supports abortion without medical need beyond viability. To insinuate people do makes you look like a crazy extremist.

Quoting MommyJ451:

While you are arguing over semantics;
why not relabel "Choice" to be what it really is???
"Fetal MURDER!"
especially at 6+ months when it is possible to nurture (outside the mother) even though "premature"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skittles20
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Jess, you are beyond sick. You are basically saying to all the women who have been in a situation where an abortion saved their life that they should have died. I hope, hope, HOPE that your daughter will never have to deal with an ectopic pregnancy. Mom taught her she just has to lay there and die, because there are no exceptions in her book. Sick!

Quoting jessw2010:

my child's life comes before mine ALWAYS! that's the way it's supposed to be. I have a boy, but he will know from day one that abortion is wrong in ANY case, and if I had a daughter she would know that as well and never consider an abortion because that is how I would raise her. I am so happy to hear that the dominican republic has taken a huge step in the right direction.

Quoting cleo_is_mine:

Hey Pro-Lifers with no exception: 16 yo pregnant with cancer dies awaiting chemo because Dominican Republic bans abortion and no doctor would treat the cancer b/c  chemo could terminate pregnancy. Now pretend this is your daughter and tell me honestly you wouldnt take a different position? Some people are just blind to the matters that go beyond their own experience. but just because a situation never crossed your mind (like having a pregnant teen in your household?) , it doesnt mean that it is not happening all over the world.  Please please, try to take your minds off of all preceived concepts and imagine, is it ok for let a cancer patient die because chemo cant be given if she is pregnant? because that's what an abortion ban is. NO ABORTION. WHATSOEVER. in under ANY circumstance. That's just nuts! I am pro choice but I'll side with pro lifers with exception any day before 100%pro lifers.

Dhizzy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
I am very pro-life, but would still endorse abortion for very few situations, such as an ectopic pregnancy or for an earlier example given of a 10-year old victim of incest or rape (it's all rape at that age).

Legalizing abortion was supposed to make it safe & rare, but it's gone way off-track. You can't legislate exceptions; someone has to iudge. Individual choice has failed: abortion rates skyrocket as sole means of birth control among vast sections of our society, babies are aborted for being imperfect (like with Downs Syndrome), and what the Hell makes killing a baby preferable over the possibility of a mother dying in childbirth (something no one can predict with certainty)?

If a woman's life is in danger, c-section can very often fix that. Babies taken months prematurely survive regularly. Abortion for the life of the mother is almost never necessary, but us held out as an example upon which we should legislate.

We went from a few back-alley abortions among hookers & the like to it being commonplace; even encouraged among minorities & the poor!

The whole thing neaseates me. I agree with earlier posts about not labeling others or assuming from a label that you know what they believe/support.
Tatum2U
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

ass talk for sure !

Quoting LoriLou75:

Prove it. While many support most states guidelines (generally around 18 weeks) I don't know of anyone that support abortion for no medical need beyond viability. You say "a lot" do, show me, otherwise you are simply talking out of your ass.

Quoting jessw2010:

no, you sound crazy. . . . .alot of people support late term abortions ( after 12 weeks) without any medical need. they believe a woman should have the right to choose, not matter how far along.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I support choice for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. No one in their right mind supports abortion without medical need beyond viability. To insinuate people do makes you look like a crazy extremist.

Quoting MommyJ451:

While you are arguing over semantics;
why not relabel "Choice" to be what it really is???
"Fetal MURDER!"
especially at 6+ months when it is possible to nurture (outside the mother) even though "premature"

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Members of my family have obtained illegal abortions before roe v wade. They were not hookers (or the like) you are living in Lala land if you think only hookers got back ally abortions.

Quoting Dhizzy:

I am very pro-life, but would still endorse abortion for very few situations, such as an ectopic pregnancy or for an earlier example given of a 10-year old victim of incest or rape (it's all rape at that age).

Legalizing abortion was supposed to make it safe & rare, but it's gone way off-track. You can't legislate exceptions; someone has to iudge. Individual choice has failed: abortion rates skyrocket as sole means of birth control among vast sections of our society, babies are aborted for being imperfect (like with Downs Syndrome), and what the Hell makes killing a baby preferable over the possibility of a mother dying in childbirth (something no one can predict with certainty)?

If a woman's life is in danger, c-section can very often fix that. Babies taken months prematurely survive regularly. Abortion for the life of the mother is almost never necessary, but us held out as an example upon which we should legislate.

We went from a few back-alley abortions among hookers & the like to it being commonplace; even encouraged among minorities & the poor!

The whole thing neaseates me. I agree with earlier posts about not labeling others or assuming from a label that you know what they believe/support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)