Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pro Life with exceptions IS NOT Pro Choice! ****ETA****

Posted by   + Show Post

IMO, if someone wants abortion illegal, even with exceptions, you are still PL. I get so annoyed when a PL person says "I think abortion should be allowed for rape, incest, maternal health" and someone comes back with "That makes you Pro Choice". It doesn't, Pro Choice (again IMO) means giving women all their choices, freedom to choice regardless of reason. If you are only giving her choices under special circumstances, how is that "Pro Choice"? I get that it isn't entirely Pro Life either, it is somewhere in the middle. 

**ETA**

From the responses, it seems many people don't/can't separate their personal feelings from their political views. So, to be sure we are all "on the same page", lets keep the opinions to your political views on abortion. Do you feel the federal or state government should ban it? Place stricter regulations on it, that sort of thing. Ya now, how would YOU VOTE if the subject appeared on your ballot?

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Replies (51-60):
Oceana09
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM
2 moms liked this

According to the bible that Pro-lifers claim to follow, God gave us free will. God gave us choice. He also tells us it is his place and his place only to judge. So, shouldn't pro-lifers who are supposedly following God's will leave the choice making up to the person making the choice like it was intended, and leave the judging to God? I'm just curious.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Adipose
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
So...
Pro choice = choice for EVERYONE

Pro life = life for some unless you were conceived through rape, incest, etc.

IMO, if you are "pro life with exceptions" you are either pro some life or pro choice, whichever term you prefer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
r2blue2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I'm pro-life me and pro-choice everyone else

kcrogue
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I don't know but I don't see how you can have exceptions. Where's the line? All you need is a doctor note and it's alright? It just doesn't make sense to me. So complicated I don't think you can be Pro Choice or Pro Life, it's not black and white it just gray, like most everything in this life. 

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I consider myself pro-choice. But in the same token I do not believe women should be legally able to have a fully formed and viable baby (fetus for the sticklers) chopped up and sucked out of their uterus at 34 weeks.

Both sides have exceptions.The people that are 100% one way or the other scare me.

littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is all stupid.

If you are pro-life it should be for you. If you are pro-choice, that should also be for you.

Personally..I am pro-life. I could never have an abortion. 

But to the rest of the women in the world, I am pro-choice.

it is their choice what to do with their body.

Who the hell am I to say whether someone can or cannot, should or sould not have an aborition.

Where this line of thinking came about I have mo idea, but we all should knock it off, government included. Obama can be prochoice all he wants and romney can be prolife all he wants...but until either of them are pregnant with a child...their opinion shouldn't count for one fuck. 

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I consider myself to be pro-choice because even though abortion is not a choice I would ever make for myself,I think that women should be able to make their own choices about their bodies and the government should not have a say so in whether or not a woman choses to have her baby.

LittleWeloosMom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:20 AM
3 moms liked this

In response to the previous commenter who was unsure what their beliefs made them, my opinion is that if you think abortion should be legal you are pro-choice.

You may be ideologically or philosophically opposed to the practice of abortion but you realize that the practice being illegal is impractical/ dangerous/ futile, whatever. I wish more people would be open-minded enough to support the option for others even though they themselves oppose it. What I hate to see (and this information is out there if you want to look) is the people who are most ardantly pro-life are more likely to think that their own personal situation (or their daughter's, etc) is the only allowable exception. In other words, they go get an abortion if they need one but they don't want others to have that same option. (Read the article about Dr. Tiller who was murdered by a fundamentalist Christian terrorist in 2009. He spoke about the picketers outside his office and how some would sneak and make appointments and then be back in the picket line the next day, because they really believed that their situation was a unique exception BUT everyone else should burn in hell for the same decision.)

Did you know that most hormonal birth controls don't prevent conception, only implantation, and that is why legislature that deems its goal as protecting the idea that 'life begins at conception' could become a dangerous path to start down. First of all, birth control could ostensibly be outlawed since it does, by that definition, end a life by preventing the fertilized egg from implanting.

Then there are lots of other medical situations to consider (ectopic, miscarriage, etc) and that is exactly why personal medical choices should NOT be legislated.

I am 100% pro-choice. If someone wants to call me pro-abortion that is not going to hurt my feelings one bit.

DestinyHLewis
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM
I honestly don't care what I am labeled as. Pro life , Pro Choice. I am both. It depends on the circumstance.
Fazed
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:08 AM

Why be so concerned in the label then the actual issue? A women should decide for herself whether or not she wants to bring a child into this world. If you do not believe she should have this choice then you have NO right to bitch and complain about not having equal rights under the constitution. Which by the way, you don't. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)