Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thoughts on raising a child: before and after?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

What did you think about having/raising or what you thought it would be like before baby was born (either during or before pregnancy) and what are your thoughts on the subject now that you've (you're) been-there-done (doing)-that??

S/O post here:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17456294/Thoughts_on_child_birth_before_and_after

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Totally the same.

I was a nanny, and my views did not and have not waivered
arigdon4
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

It's honestly no different now that it is your own child?

Quoting Anonymous:

Totally the same.

hdchair
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I thought I'd have a better handle on discipline before, judging other parents unfairly. Now I know that kids continually test boundaries, no one solution works for all children, and I'm just doing the best I can!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I never knew it was possible to have so much love for someone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lena-Loo
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM
I lot more challenging than i thought it would be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I learned to chill....It is ok if my kid isn't perfect all the time, that sometimes he still doesn't sleep through the night, and to take it day by day. Before kids I thought I would never have toys in my living room, everything would be spotless at all times, they would never know what mcdonalds is....Ya not so much and I love every min of it.

lilmama2be
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:00 PM

It's different than I thought. But I didn't/don't think about the future issues so much as just deal with the present ones. I had no experience with children before I had DD, and honestly wasn't a particular fan of them. Now, I want more, and also work in a child care facility. Every day seems to be a learning experience

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I feel differently about my child. I love them a hell of a lot more than the great kids I was a nanny for - but thoughts on parenting topics/discipline/behavior management/nutrition? Nope. Kids deserve the best out if their childcare provider and that is what they got.

I was a damn good nanny, and a damn good mom. I see no difference between treating kids that you nanny for, and your own differently (with the exception of boundaries - like I shower with my toddler, wasn't going to shower with theirs....and other logical instances). I was with those kids from 16 weeks on, and at the beginning there for 70+ hours a week. The girls and I were very bonded. All this to say. Dude, emotionally, these kids and I were like glue for 3+ years.

Don't know if it helps pull this together, but I was in/got my degree in cognitive psych, so finding/reading studies and other fun stuff was always up my alley and had fueledc a lot of my opinions.

I have never understood when people say that nannies "could never understand XYZ" like a parent could. They sure as heck could, and do. Don't minimize their insight.

Oh! Wait! Crying. When my son was an infant, I couldn't see straight when he would cry. My mind went fuzzy. Thank you biology.

Quoting arigdon4:

It's honestly no different now that it is your own child?

Quoting Anonymous:

Totally the same.

Wyattlucasmama
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

A lot more lonely than I had expected, and the guilt of my son not having his father in his life eats at me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I thought it was hard.

I think that it's hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)